Torsen differential Q's

TomsGT4

There were some improvements to the E150F transaxle over the E50F2 used on the 1st gen 3SGTE.
Basically gear ratios differ for the 1st two gears, and they used a 5-pinion center defferential over the previous 4-pinion type on the E50F2.

trans018tg.jpg

trans023vd.jpg

trans037wr.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

TomsGT4

BoostedBlueToyotas":2m3ztt8d said:
Tom, I really think you should take a picture of that entire manual
and send the pictures to me :D , even Gary dont have those
pictures :lol:

I'll eventually get around to scanning the relevant pages in & host them in the FTP download section of the forum.
Scanner is broke right now though... :doh:

saved_1992

i have found if you try to move both rear wheels at the same time in the same direction, if can not move the wheels open diff if you can lsd.

beej

ok so i have heard it was an option in the US

was LSD stock in JDM? was it stock in Australia?

i know i got one, being able to steer the rear end in mud by using the throttle, and its a GrpA :D

acylon

saved_1992":1p22qqa8 said:
i have found if you try to move both rear wheels at the same time in the same direction, if can not move the wheels open diff if you can lsd.
sounds like the car was in gear when you tried the open and out of gear when you tried the lsd.
When I get my lsd and open it to verify its a lsd, I will compare it on the shop floor with my st165 open diff to see if I can get them to do anything different from one another. I will try to post my results and pics here.
Thank you community for trying to figure this mystery out.

acylon

O.K. Here it is. I found three differences between a ST165 open diff and a ST185CS Torsen diff.

First the torsen has a magnetic drain plug. It looks like indented head with a circle in the middle. If you take it out it looks like a 1/2 inch shaft coming out of the thread area.
Second there is a raised square with a raised "M" in the casting on the right side of the "1" by the drain hole on torsen.
The M is sideways to the "1" Kinda like this: E
Third there are groves on the inside of the output Shafts on torsen.

I also discoverd acouple ways to tell the difference in how they act, but they are sort of vauge. I may go into that if these differences dont pan out. I didnt have a st185 open diff so these differences could just be between st165 and st185 opens. Soooo...

If anyone who KNOWS (seen inside) they have a factory torsen could you please verify any of these findings, that would be great.

Also if some non-Torsen ST185 owners could see if any of these markings are on your diff let me know too.

If anyone with a ST205 rearend could see if these markings are on your diff. Thanks.

Pic of torsen:

Pic of open (left) and Torsen (right)

Both my torsen and open differentials have the 1 stamped on the housing
The open differential also has the plug pictured (it was definitely has
the black magnetic part on it)

acylon

OK but did they have the raised M next to the 1? It is sort of faint.
Thanks for looking.
Was the open with the magnet a st185?

marty

acylon: is possible to change open st165 rear diff with this st185 lsd? What mods are required please?

acylon

Yes, just buy a st205 diff and put it in. Or if you can find a st185 torsen, but you have the owner pull off the back cover and take a picture so you can see it is a torsen before you buy it.

marty

I'm asking you because I would like to run here in Czech winter championship of hill climb on snow. What difference you fell to run LSD on rear? Do you have some on front too?

OK but did they have the raised M next to the 1? It is sort of faint.
Thanks for looking.

==> The Torsen does, its is next to the 1 underneath the first cooling fin
The open differential is too rusty for me to tell

Was the open with the magnet a st185?

==> Yes, it had the same plug as pictured, HOWEVER my new torsen
drain plug is totally different, it is recessed for a allen head wrench

acylon

YES! That little faint M under the fin could be our ticket to identifying these friggin torsens! :D

Thank you boosted blue!

But we need more proof, we need to have an open st185 see if there is no M. And we need a Torsen st185 and to verify the M.

Marty, I love having Torsen in the rear. It seems to make the car more predictable in corners. And makes it drive alittle more lika a rear wheel drive. Better for inducing throttle on oversteer.

I have a brand new ST185 torsen in the basement (it has the 1, the M or
8 or 3 whatever, and has the allen head wrench drain plug)

My original open diff has the 1, not sure about the stamp [most of
these diff are going to be too rusty to use this] M, and has the
circle drain plug with magnetic part

The open differential plug (at least on mine) is the plug with the circle,
I will take a picture of the torsens plug. Have patience I have to find
the charger for my laptop, my digital camera download software is
not supported by window XP :shoots:

acylon

Looks like a bust to me. I have an M on my other st165 open diff.
there is a picture of the open diff plug in the pics I already posted, the pic with the open on the left and torsen on right, you can see the plug heads as I placed them on top of the diffs.

CMS-GT4

If this bolt method is correct, then I too have a torsen diff in my car already. Maybe the problem I am having is suspension and that is why its acting open because I pull one wheel off the ground.

b00staholic

The drain plug method has already been shown to be unreliable though....read a few posts above yours, people have the same plug on both open and torsen diffs.