Supercharged 1mzfe alltrac-would you do it

Would you do it?

• yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Red Rabbit

I figured that this might be a fun little topic. If you could afford you would you
swap a 1mzfe into your alltrac and supercharge it. I'm not talking about that lil twin screw that trd sells im talking a centifigul type with intercooler like procharger. Even though there arent many parts for the 1mzfe it would be totaly unique and n/a not to mention fast as s**t.

CMS-GT4

SC is still FI, so it would not be NA. It might have a better powerband due to discplacement and type of FI.

I would concider a SC and laughing gas like the mr2 that won the Street car challenge a couple of years ago.

If I were to do something that elaborate I might look at some other engine options while at it.

Locker

Why would you make it FWD the all trac tranny should bolt up without any issue to the V6 block. I mean the v6 tranny bolts to the 3sgte

toytech

you could probably make it work with a center diff from a highlander or rx300. they are near identical to the alltrac but made for the v6. probably need a custom axle though.

EricGT4

You might have a some weight issues. It would be a lot heavier. It would be really cool to see someone do though.

1stGenAllTrac

yeh i think i had a SCC or Turbo mag with a MR2/v6 swap they were going to super/turbo charge it for some god-aweful reason. they said the 3s and the 1m were close in weight.

it'd be different for sure, but what would the point be if you can get similar numbers out of the 3sgte's iron lump that's already in there.. if you wanted to make serious numbers with the aluminum block v6, it'd have to be sleeved. then toss a supercharger on it with decent flow and a truck diff (which i imagine weighs more too)..

it's so crazy it just might work

SBCelicaGT

1stGenAllTrac":o37l6sbf said:
yeh i think i had a SCC or Turbo mag with a MR2/v6 swap they were going to super/turbo charge it for some god-aweful reason. they said the 3s and the 1m were close in weight.

it'd be different for sure, but what would the point be if you can get similar numbers out of the 3sgte's iron lump that's already in there.. if you wanted to make serious numbers with the aluminum block v6, it'd have to be sleeved. then toss a supercharger on it with decent flow and a truck diff (which i imagine weighs more too)..

It's not so much the numbers, but the range of numbers. A larger engine will have a larger power band and for a street car, this is very important.

With tubular exhaust manifolds, aluminum block, and no turbo, the 1MZ-FE is pretty damn close, if not lighter than a complete 3S-GTE.

As for fitment, it would be interesting to compare the transaxle out of an AWD Highlander to see if you can swap the transfer case section over.

If anyone is interested, I'll see about snapping some photos of the underside of one for comparison purposes. My girlfriend's mother recently purchased a Highlander and we'll be visiting next weekend.

As for engine durability, from what I have seen, the only weak parts are the rods and pistons which seem good for about 300bhp. Unless you're doing something dumb, the crank and block seem to be fine all the way up to 500bhp or so. Brad's engine (Yellow MR2 that won SCC "street car challenge" last year) ending up having hairline cracks in the crank, but he was making obscene amounts of power anyway.

2of81

I see this swap as not very eaisly possible......

One problem would be getting the exhaust out of the rear head. I mean with the 3SGTE it's very hard to get my hands around the back of the engine with the center diff. So exhaust would be interesting.

GMan

I have dreamed about it.
Pat aka -Alltrac101 (and others) said it would not work. The rear bank hits
the center diff. So I gave up the dream.

The MR2 board is the place to read up on v6 swaps.

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=139142
V6 mr2 VS. mr2 turbo stock???

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=140573
Why the 3vz-fe is the best Toyota v6 period

As long as we are Only Dreaming...
How about a v8 swap :)
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=1 ... ge=1&pp=30

There Are V6 Highlanders, Siennas and RX300s v6-awd, (auto)
So there Is a Way to cram awd and a v6 together.
Maybe (Will ?:) come a day when Someone will solve the
Challenges and pull off the v6 5spd swap.
It is just going to take time Money and a pioneering spirit. :)

Regards;

1stGenAllTrac

SBCelicaGT":3px7toon said:
It's not so much the numbers, but the range of numbers. A larger engine will have a larger power band and for a street car, this is very important.

With tubular exhaust manifolds, aluminum block, and no turbo, the 1MZ-FE is pretty damn close, if not lighter than a complete 3S-GTE.

well the TTE cars were making ~300hp and gobs of torque (700+ if i recall, or i might just be hallucinating again) so i wasnt just speaking in peak HP #s.. I also had an article in a Turbo magazine with the 3sgte in a supra JGTC car in lieu of the 2jz , since they saved weight, could slide the weight behind the front wheels, and ended up with similar engine output .

.. and i wasnt trying to say its not interesting either. I'm going to go read those links on the mr2 forums for curiosity's sake. :p

SuperWhite92

1stGenAllTrac":1wpctybg said:

That MR2 turned out badass. It was a V6 with nitrous and a supercharger and a turbocharger. They had enough extra parts in the frunk that they could switch the ECU maps and the manifolds, etc to convert it to NA only, Turbo only, or SC only in about 20 minutes. The final numbers were just under 600whp in full twincharged, but nitrous free dynotime.

SBCelicaGT

1stGenAllTrac":1ucse5d9 said:
SBCelicaGT":1ucse5d9 said:

well the TTE cars were making ~300hp and gobs of torque (700+ if i recall, or i might just be hallucinating again) so i wasnt just speaking in peak HP #s.. I also had an article in a Turbo magazine with the 3sgte in a supra JGTC car in lieu of the 2jz , since they saved weight, could slide the weight behind the front wheels, and ended up with similar engine output .

.. and i wasnt trying to say its not interesting either. I'm going to go read those links on the mr2 forums for curiosity's sake. :p

You're probably hallucinating. I'd wager the torque peak was somewhere in the 400-450 range. However, again, you are alluding to a race car where the rev range is higher than what you see on the street. How much power does that engine make BEFORE the turbo kicks in at 2500, or 3000rpm?

I'm a bit bemused by your reference to the boat anchor 2JZGTE engine as it has nothing to do with the comparison of the 3SGTE to 1MZFE. Again, the JGTC reference is for a RACE CAR. Race cars don't putter around in traffic (well, unless there’s a full course yellow).

Look up the dyno chart of a supercharged 1MZ-FE and compare it to a modified 3SGTE with similar peak power. You will see the 1MZ-FE will have a larger, flatter, power band. For reasonable street horsepower goals (under 300whp), the 1MZ-FE will be much easier to drive as you won’t need to rev the piss out of it to get the car to move. Does that mean it will be faster on the track? Who cares as that’s not the point I am making.

CMS-GT4

TTE and rally cars.com both report the st185 of having 600lb tq.

The 3s with its ct26 or ct20b are not bad to drive since they don't have near as much lag as many other turbos.

For and I4 the 3s has a decent powerband when tuned right. At least till big cams and a monster turbo are fitted.

Out of all the engines that are not from the celica to put in a Celica, I would concider this new TC engine.

People are producing good numbers and great 1/4 mile times with them.
The only reason I would concider it is the weight. All aluminum engine 2.4L. And if it can make 400 crank HP reliably, then I am all for it.