1988 Celica Alltrac (3sgte)

88boostedcelica

Just bought my '88 Celica All Trac about 2 months ago and having lots of fun. Eating people around the city in my stock turbo car, love that all wheel drive goin on. Speaking of which, i know theres a difference between all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive, not sure which i have. Also have no clue if im in the 185 or the 165...clueless here, maybe im just a noob at this stuff. Can't find information on my car at all. I do know i love it and hope to have some good talks with you fellas...and gals. :) ~PeAcE~ :shoots:

klue

full time AWD with 50/50 torque split is 4wd(our cars). and AWD can be differnt torque splits like 30/70. like a g35x

A

Anonymous

Thanks for clearing that up and givin me a little reading material on it, now I can talk about my car without lookin so ignorant. The '88 was the first Generation of All-Trac's, correct? Just tryin to get my story straight for every other Joe blow out there who does a double take when looking at my car and asks me specific questions, now I won't just kind of stare at him and say, uhh, its turbo charged... :evil:

Wow... another ST165 owner, and local at that... hehe. Welcome to the group! There aren't many of these cars left in town, so people generally don't know what you have, at least in my experience. :D

As far as a little more primer information:

The engine used in our cars is the 3SGTE, a powerplant also shared by the ST185s and the MR2 Turbos. It's a 2.0-liter, 16-valve DOHC engine, turbocharged by the Toyota CT26 turbocharger. There are differences between the ST185 and ST165 engines, the major ones being a dual-entry wastegate turbo exhaust end(to eliminate cracking that the ST165s are very prone to; mine included), and an air to air intercooler in place of the air to water intercooler the ST165 has. Here's another good site for info, especially on the '165:

http://gtfours.co.uk

And, congrats on picking one up!