Question about a Camry...

rudeboy3d

So I am at work, sitting around doing nothing (as usual) and I took a 99 Camry LE out for a spin. I like the look, its just the whole automatic thing that gets me...

First question would be... Could you bolt a 5 speed Celica tranny to the 5SFE engine in there?

I believe the Camry Solara had a manual as an option, but I know that's strictly a six.

If you can bolt the 5 speed Celica tranny in there, I would think that, in theory, with engine mounts being the same, you could drop in a 3SGTE...

A five speed, 3SGTE-powered Camry would be a fun little family car.

Are any of these swaps possible?

Cause I am looking for a Corolla as a daily driver and make a project out of my Civic, but if I could get a 5 speed Camry, i think I would rather have that. Hondas are easy... Toyotas, I love... Any help would be nice......

Gary, I know you have words of wisdom... You are like Wilson, from Home Improvment... always givin advice over the fence...

bang bang :shoots:

db

I'd use the V6 tranny if possible. It bolts up to S-series motors. "Wraith" has a 3sgte swapped Camry. He frequents the MR2 Owners Club (www.mr2oc.com). He had a GT30 in his and sounds like he's going bigger.

Remember that not all states allow transplanting an older engine into a newer car, plus messing with OBDII cars won't be fun.

Gary

Instead of the 3s swap, a V6, 1mzfe swap would be much easier and nicer for a daily driver and it'll be smog legal and might be cheaper too. (or just buying a v6 LE?)

Glenn653

Why not just use the trans out of Celica GT that also had the 5SFE, then just change the head and add a turbo. Or just add the turbo as they have kits to put a turbo on the 5SFE now.

db

I was recommending the V6 tranny as I'm guessing it is probably built beefier coming from a V6 base rather than a 4 cylinder.