Passing Emissions with an EMS?

DipStick

Figured It might make a good discussion, but I'm curious, when it comes to be that dreaded time when the state wants to sniff your tailpipe, does an good EMS such as the Nemisis or AEM ( I name these two because I believe they support EGR operation ) stand a chance at being able to be tuned to pass?
How much of a chance does the tuner have? I imagine it would depend a lot on the state/county, but lets use Pierce County, Washington for example. If you are AWD then all they do is sniff your pipe at idle and at 2500 RPM, for about a minute each. I dont even think they had me pop the hood!
Another Question: What about a more modded engine with, say 264 or 272 cams, etc?

AWDios

I'm in King county, they run through the same thing here.

I'm running 3" dp back no cats.

3rd gen swap on the 185 ecu.

Basically, I had to install an S-AFC2 to get the car lean enough to pass with the 550cc injectors in. It worked fine.

I also have no EGR or any of that good stuff.

So I'm thinking, you'd be fine with an EMS, just run lean as possible.

Griffin

With the AEM its easy - it has a closed loop fuel control mode - you tell it the A/F you want - slap a cat on it and BAM yer good to go.

The real trick is passing the bulb flash test and the base timing check when they short TE to E1. Basically you have to set TE up as an auxillary input to the EMS and have it initialize an alternate map that runs a flat 10 degrees of timing across the board. You also use it to ground a flasher relay thats hooled up to the check engine light to make ti flash.

Thats pretty much all there is to it.

alltracman78

Wow, I love getting inspected in NC. All I have is a lame ass safety inspection. You can even have cracked windshield and pass!!

damselracer

I hate California... I'm getting my car smogged right before I do the engine build, so at least I've got 2 years to fiddle before I've got to pass again, but its going to be interesting trying to get the car smogable with a standalone EMS, upgraded turbo, different exhaust (I need to at least keep the cats) and 264/272 cams, among other goodies. :(

Griffin

damselracer":3ue4hww2 said:
I hate California... I'm getting my car smogged right before I do the engine build, so at least I've got 2 years to fiddle before I've got to pass again, but its going to be interesting trying to get the car smogable with a standalone EMS, upgraded turbo, different exhaust (I need to at least keep the cats) and 264/272 cams, among other goodies. :(

don't sweat it - I live in LA I'm only a year and change out from having to smog again, so you'll be able to follow my lead when the time comes ;)

Plus I'm gonna have to do it with a FMIC, externally venting BOV, etc. I have a plan though so we'll see :)

DipStick

Well, if there is one thing about California emissions that could be considered nice, its the fact that the tests are done by private shops rather than a state inspection facility. I used to live there and many times I have heard from other people that it isnt too hard to find a shop who is willing to pass any car if you brought a nice chunk of cash with you :wink:
I once read this somewhere but I cant remember. Is it true that for a cat to work right and last a while, you need to have your mixture bouncing back and forth between rich and lean (like it would in closed loop mode with a narrowband o2 sensor)?
Another question: under what specific conditions (temp, load, RPM, ect.) is EGR activated? Is it on/off in nature or is in modulated in proportion to certain inputs to the ECU?

___Scott___

DipStick":1afv7tmb said:
I once read this somewhere but I cant remember. Is it true that for a cat to work right and last a while, you need to have your mixture bouncing back and forth between rich and lean (like it would in closed loop mode with a narrowband o2 sensor)?

Yes it's true.

damselracer

Griffin":17iul2on said:
damselracer":17iul2on said:

don't sweat it - I live in LA I'm only a year and change out from having to smog again, so you'll be able to follow my lead when the time comes ;)

Plus I'm gonna have to do it with a FMIC, externally venting BOV, etc. I have a plan though so we'll see :)
ack! i almost forgot about the FMIC... let me know how that plan works, because i think im going to need it too!

I just got the car smogged today (teacher called and said he wanted the car in this morning to pull the engine, so plans got pushed up a bit) and it passed with flying colors. I have a feeling that is the last time that car is going to see an easy smog check though.