Another newb here!

EH339

Hi all! I just bought an '88 Alltrac in red. It's missing a radiator and there are other parts in the hatch area that belong in the engine bay. I expect to put a bunch of money in her, but as I got her for only $750, I feel that I'm ahead of the game so far. The mileage on the car is 114K which I think is very reasonable for her age. The only visible rust is on the sunroof.

I've been wanting an Alltrac for a while. I met someone about two years ago with a '92 Alltrac. After some research, I decided that I preferred the ST165 styling. Also last June, I checked out a $900 '89 Alltrac in Spokane, WA that was listed on the classifieds on this board, but what a junker that car was. I brought along a $15 starter motor that I won on eBay and picked up in Montana along the way to the car. Spent some money on a new radiator, bought a junkyard hood while we were trying to get her running. Then during the test drive around the block, a brakeline burst. Then when we jacked it up, one of the front strut towers dropped down. However, was a good learning experience for me and an interesting way to spend a Saturday afternoon. After all of that, I still wanted one. lol!

I have a lot of cars, mostly Civics, but buying this one almost completes my collection. I'm on the hunt for a '79 Honda Civic hatch... after that, then I think I will be done for a long time. I love older cars. I am also a novice autocrosser. My boyfriend was in the last Targa Newfoundland Rally with his dad in a turbo-charged GSR coupe. Next year, I get to be the navigator. Maybe in a few years, this Alltrac will be entered into it... but it depends on how much I love her. That race is very tough on cars, and this year about five of the entries were totalled, and many disabled.

Gary

Wecome. :)
You have an interesting car collection there.
That is a good deal.
Post some pic. What's the plan for it?

EH339

Thanks! I've always loved cars. I started out with Civic hatches because they were cheap, reliable and fit my bass equipment. Then I found awesome mechanics that I could trust. And over time, I just got very comfortable with owning an older car and what developing problems to look out for. Then, I'm also a bargain hunter... also the new car offerings just don't do it for me. Plus, I don't like having car payments.

I'll have pictures up later on in the week. Too bad it's starting to get cold, but hopefully I can do a good before and after set of exterior pictures. My boyfriend just bought some detailing stuff from Zainos. The first thing that I have to save up for it a radiator. I guess that I have no choice but to get that Fluidyne one from 935 Motorsports... I wish that there was a better one available. My Si and GSR sedan both have Koyo all aluminum radiators in them... both bought used. Otherwise, there are ice racing events up in NH starting in February, so I'm hoping to have the Alltrac ready by then. Fortunately, this car doesn't have to be my daily driver. That's what the Civics are for. :)

Gary

Just curious, where are you located?
I and other members in MA, RI, and NH have talked about this ice racing for a while.
Never had a chance to go there.

Gary

Wow! another alltrac in Boston.
You better have the radiator and make sure it runs by next week. :)
We gonna have a mini meet (like usual) sometime next or the following weekend.
We have never had any ST165 in our meet before.

EH339

Well... no way my ST165 is going to be ready for your Boston meet. The only way it will be there is by flatbed. lol! Okay, a confession. I bought this car sight unseen. For what the guy was asking, it's got potential. Plus there were a ton of people calling him from his ad. So, this afternoon, my bf and I checked it out finally in person. Tomorrow, a flatbed truck is delivering it to my backyard.

It's got a decent body. Rust on the moonroof and below the gas filler door. A little on one front fender. I can have all of that fixed cheap in the spring by some guy in Taunton that has done decent body work on my cars in the past. Then there are a bunch of missing lock cylinders in the doors and the ignition. Then under the hood, the wiring harness is messed up. No biggie as my bf and I were thinking of making this one into a racecar, complete with a rollcage for a future Targa Rally. So I think that we're going to Megasquirt this baby... 8)

d1alltrac

welcome and congrats on your purchase.

good to have another BMWCCA member on the board, Lone Star Chapter here, id like to see pics of the iX...after pics of the alltrac of course :wink:

EH339

The Alltrac arrived this morning. Awesome flatbed operator. It's not easy getting into my yard.

alltrac1.jpg

And as requested, our e30 ix:

whiteix.jpg