Tein SS

Tein SS -softest setting - DD

• Yes anything is confortable for me as long as i can turn at 90...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My parents or gf or wife or children don't complain

• Confortable for daily driving (personal opinion, but other disagree)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Absolutely not

• Total voters

omgitsroy326

I was wondering if these are still soft enough for DD on the softest setting.

If i'm taking a 2 ~ 4 hour trip.. i really don't like my passengers complainin the whole way....

Griffin

The ride isn't that harsh as long as you don't have the shocks dialed all the way up to stiff. Its quite doable for long trips. If you want a little extra comfort run your tire pressures at the bottom end of the acceptable inflation range

XoDuzZ

with my TRD set up on I-5, the unders construction portions are a total bitch. I hate doing it cause it feels like i need my kidneys replaced after every drive.

I still love it tho, but driving around in downtown seattle with friends (specifically girls) they bitch and whine about how my car feels like a go kart.

I tell them to walk :)

EricGT4

i have tiens and i drove the car 600 miles only stopping for gas and it felt fine to me. my koni shocks might be set to a little easier ride right now.

tweekgt4

i use to think that with coilovers, the ride won't be comfortable...

with the tein ss, i think it's comfortable....

the ride has to deal with the tires on the car, too.

my setup if i recall is 7 clicks stiff from the softest in the front and 5 clicks stiff from the softest in the rear. ride height is about an inch lower as it seems to be the same height as when i had the TRD japan springs installed. keep in mind the shocks i had were OEM with 140,000 miles on them.

after i installed the teins, the ride was about the same as the TRD Japan springs on OEM 140k shocks. you can feel the road more since the car sits lower but with any type of lowering springs, you would get this.

again, tires change the ride as well. i was running 215/40/17s and bumps would still hurt but when i put 215/50/15s back, the ride was much more comfortable.

GabeHoya

This is a little off topic but has anyone used the 165 spacers/washers w/these coilovers?

I'm tempted to get the Tein SS system but I wanted to know if there are any cons associated with going the spacer route.

Is it a win, win situation or are there some minor drawbacks?

Thanks.

935motorsports

I have sold a few spacer sets to TEIN st165 owners. No feedback yet on how well the spacers work.

Roy, the harshness will have to do with tires and the pillows. The pillowball mounts add some harshness. Also, if you had stock tires vs 17" wheels with 40 series tires, the ride would be different.

It's going to be fine overall except for the average pothole which will make your back hate you but not too much you can do about holes in the road. On the highway it is fine. I'll make you a personal local deal on the last set, with a few bucks off for your old suspension.

Keep in mind that you can change spring rates and even make it progressive and drive like a lexus if you want to do so. You will lose all the good crazy handling in the top end.

If you are concerned, I'd go with the SS and the EDFC so you can switch it full soft when you get downtown or a bad pothole area.

CodingParadox

I put tein SS on my 185 DD, dialed the front and back both up to middle stiffness, and REALLY like it for daily driving. It's actually a great combination of smooth over bumps, and yet stiff when you wanna lean into it.

My dad just put tein SS on his 165 and likes it a lot, for similar reasons. I'd say it's absolutely fine for DD. I drive back and forth from Portland to Redmond on average once a month or so, which is 200 miles. The first time I'd ever not had a sore ass at the end of a trip was after I put the tein SS on and headed up there. Set them to middle stiffness, and it was like butta.

124Spider

CodingParadox":1hc6ybau said:
I put tein SS on my 185 DD, dialed the front and back both up to middle stiffness, and REALLY like it for daily driving. It's actually a great combination of smooth over bumps, and yet stiff when you wanna lean into it.

My dad just put tein SS on his 165 and likes it a lot, for similar reasons. I'd say it's absolutely fine for DD. I drive back and forth from Portland to Redmond on average once a month or so, which is 200 miles. The first time I'd ever not had a sore ass at the end of a trip was after I put the tein SS on and headed up there. Set them to middle stiffness, and it was like butta.
I like the stiffness of the ride with my new Teins, but that stiffness isn't for everyone. I like feeling the road, and going around corners without having to brake, or keeling over. That's just me, but certainly not everyone.

If you prefer soft comfort, stiff shocks aren't for you, but if you like feeling the road, and a bit of a stiff ride (nothing overbearing, at all), these are a quantum leap above the old, dead shocks the car had when I bought it (and totally destroyed at a rally school in Portland in September).

124Spider

935motorsports":3qbl54bh said:
I have sold a few spacer sets to TEIN st165 owners. No feedback yet on how well the spacers work.
Like a charm. At least for installation and the first couple of test rides. No data yet on how robust they are.

Putting the rear shocks in by myself was a very large PITA, but I'm very pleased with the improvement in the feel of the car with these shocks (of course, the shocks cost just over 50% of what I paid for an entire working car, so they'd better be nice!). :)

3sgte@daspeedof

:bangshead:

I guess that means no one has a used set they want to get rid of, well you guys let me know, if you do please. If I don't find a set by may of next year I'll just buy a new one.

CodingParadox

Personally, I'm not really one to trust buying used suspension, even used nice suspension. It'd probably be worth it just to buy the set new. It's not all that much money, really, and worth the warranty and peace of mind.

SuperWhite92

CodingParadox":2d0gzsjx said:
Personally, I'm not really one to trust buying used suspension, even used nice suspension. It'd probably be worth it just to buy the set new. It's not all that much money, really, and worth the warranty and peace of mind.

Teins are one of the few aftermarket rebuildable shocks, and IIRC, they aren't outrageous to have rebuilt.