Turbo Pressure Sensor

erolit

TPS = Turbo pressure sensor. on the st185 it provides a pressure signal to the ECU from which the ECU calculates fuel cut. It also has a separate wire connecting it to the stock boost gauge on the dash board.

Appart from these 2 functions it serves no other purpose. There is no pressure sensor based fuel/ignition corrections on an st185 ECU.

If you electronically disconnect it from your engine (ie you cut the PIM wire, unplug the sensor wiring harness etc.) the ecu will begin to calculate fuel cut based on the signal from your AFM & throttle position, and when you hit airflow based fuel cut you have to reset your ECU (by pulling a battery terminal). Basically dont do it.

It will also (by some means which i have yet to establish) pull ignition timing much more readily with the sensor electronically disconnected.

If you want to kill fuel cut, the best way to do is is to unplug the vacuum line from the TPS, and leave everything as it is. This is 100% effective with zero side effects (except for complete absence of pressure related fuel cut)

Elliott

InitialD93

this is for ST165... so im assuming the same is true... i have a real boost guage also so no problem there. got another one for you.

165SENSORcopy.jpg

toayoztan

InitialD93":tfj91vmh said:
Does the TPS sensor go by any other names..... i know this sensor regulates fuel cut but does it do anything else?

Some call it map sensor (manifold air pressure sensor)...i personally don't call it that b/c it doesn't actually determine anything for fuel maps (soley AFM).

Also called BPS (boost pressure sensor), and i personally like to call it this b/c TPS just keeps clicking Throttle Position Sensor into my head.

Bryan

RIalltrac

Dustin I think those other things are for the A/C system, not 100% about it though. I would have to pop my hood and look at it real quick.

Cashback

I looked up the part number on those and, if I remember correctly, they are both for AC. One is a temp sensor and the other is idle up control.

I don't remember exactly, but I do remember they don't do anything I care about.

88Allheeze

The bottom one is the MAP sensor and the top one either is for the powersteering idle up or deals with the ac. I cant remember what it went to its been soo long ago. but i removed mine with my ac.

Gary

IIRC, the top one is for A/C
The bottom one, I'm sure, it is turbo pressure sensor.

Like Bryan said, everytime I heard TPS, I always think the Throttle Position Sensor. I'd rather call it MAP sensor.

Cashback

Gary":1hum6sq1 said:
IIRC, the top one is for A/C
The bottom one, I'm sure, it is turbo pressure sensor.

Like Bryan said, everytime I heard TPS, I always think the Throttle Position Sensor. I'd rather call it MAP sensor.

Everytime I hear MAP I think 3rd gen and get confused.

I think BPS is the only one that won't drive us all crazy.

Maloy

The Turbo pressure sensor on the 165 is located on the firewall on the passenger side, somewhat in the corner. It say Turbo Pressure Sensor right on it, you should see it right away.

epinasty

TPS is also used for trottle position sensor.

And the MAP is used a lot for any non turbo s block.
The 5sfe for example doesn't have a maf and just uses the manifold
pressure sensor to know what's going on with intake air flow.
Kind weird how different these very similar engines manage themselves.

epinasty

The blocks are the exact same. The head is different and i assume that makes a lot of other things different but when something as large a part of the engine as the block is the exact same. Then the engines are pretty similar when we are talking about all internal combustion engines.

AZautoXr

erolit":3msgoffb said:
TPS = Turbo pressure sensor. on the st185 it provides a pressure signal to the ECU from which the ECU calculates fuel cut. It also has a separate wire connecting it to the stock boost gauge on the dash board.

Appart from these 2 functions it serves no other purpose. There is no pressure sensor based fuel/ignition corrections on an st185 ECU.

If you electronically disconnect it from your engine (ie you cut the PIM wire, unplug the sensor wiring harness etc.) the ecu will begin to calculate fuel cut based on the signal from your AFM & throttle position, and when you hit airflow based fuel cut you have to reset your ECU (by pulling a battery terminal). Basically dont do it.

It will also (by some means which i have yet to establish) pull ignition timing much more readily with the sensor electronically disconnected.

If you want to kill fuel cut, the best way to do is is to unplug the vacuum line from the TPS, and leave everything as it is. This is 100% effective with zero side effects (except for complete absence of pressure related fuel cut)

Elliott

I think this is what has happened with my car ('88 'Trac). I am going to try and disconnect the vaccuum hose and see if it cures the fuel cut and limp home mode that the car is experiencing when it hits stock boost. I sure hope it helps, because we spent 3 days trying to work around it, and it is no fun to autocross this way; guessing where max boost is while trying to see the course! :shock:

bccentaur3

epinasty":2bqmlay8 said:
The blocks are the exact same. The head is different and i assume that makes a lot of other things different but when something as large a part of the engine as the block is the exact same. Then the engines are pretty similar when we are talking about all internal combustion engines.

In no way shape or form the blocks are the exact same. Yes they look similar but no way Jose..

Try to mount your awd transmission with the transfer case onto the block. It is impossible without grinding the block and transfer case a little. Well a lot on the block and a little on the transfer case.

Yes they are both cast iron but thats about it. Internally they are obviously different there too, but NO a 5s is not the same as a 3s block.

Kcman91gts

The one on the bottom is the turbo pressure sensor with the vaccum hose and those wierd white attachment in the line . the top on is the AC vsv which runs to the AC idle up vsv which sits mid firewall attached to the center of the strut bar .