Greetings. Need some motor pull advice.

pizzaguy

ok so i just bought an 88 165 that needs alot of work. After basic maintinance, i managed to lock up the motor on the test drive. I've done plenty of motor pulls, but never on one of these, and was just looking for hints and tips. i did search, but didnt find what i was lookin for. Thanks in advance

Daniel

CMS-GT4

We dropped my motor instead of pulling it. May be easier on your. You definatly want something that can help with the gearbox. Imagine a gearbox that weights as much as most honda engines.

Shame you still wern't down here dustin, you could give him a hand. :D

I would look for a bgb online for the 165 so you have reference for all the wiring and hoses.

Speaking of engines, I need to go pick up my old engine so I can salvage whatever from it.

BTW: Dustin's method requires, metal music, a hammer, and head bangin.

Cashback

Do yourself a favor and drop the engine with the tranny, change the clutch and clean everything up. I had like ten pounds of dirt and grime covering my engine, tranny, and bay.

When dropping the engine, the higher you can get it the better, taking off the bumper helps a lot too.

CMS-GT4

I would drop both. Doing the gearbox alone is quite a job. I know yours has low miles, but I would at least check out the rear main, and maybe clutch disc.

Few performance items to concider as well. Maybe a stainless clutchline and shifter bushings. Those are both items that make the shifting of this car better. Its one of the strongest gearboxes you will find, but its a bitch to take out when you want to.

Check out this section for some info that might help.

http://alltrac.net/tuning/

http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/ ... gb.php#4th

http://gtfour.ca/

A

Anonymous

Thanks! i'll certainly look into dropping it out the bottom.

All4Traction

Replace AS MUCH AS YOU CAN, you really dont wanna pull that motor more than necessary. Ive done it once by myself, id rather not do it again if i didnt have to.

CMS-GT4

Do a search for "hose from hell" and I would concider replacing most of the hoses anyway.

Are you doing forged internals or stock? Did you decide to rebuild it or find another engine?

A

Anonymous

i've been working all week, covering shifts for like 4 people who caught the flu, so the motor isnt out yet. :x

A

Anonymous

going to work on it right now. first chance ive had all week. I should have it ready to pull out tonight, and actually have it out this week.

CMS-GT4

For some reason this site was hard to cache in my browser. Took a few days of returning and checking the box to keep me logged in. Now I never log out.

88Allheeze

I found the easyest is to go through the bottom, i have access to a fork lift so what i have done is get everything disconnected from the engine and tranny then saved the left and right mounts for last. I used the engine hoist to lower the engine and trans down on a couple blocks of wood then used the forkift to swing the car away from the engine. I just hooked 1 chain to each motor mount spot on the left and the right side of the car. It really works out slick if you dont have a car lift. I have also heared of people setting the engine down on a dolly or a heavy duty creeper then using the engine hoist to raise up the car enough to slide the engine out. This is a little more scary since the front half of the car may exceed the limits of the engine hoist.. but its worked out so far.

Maloy

I just got done pulling two 165 motors in the last two weeks. I dropped the motor out the bottom onto two jacks with a piece of plywood on top of them, my ghetto dolly. I then raised the front of the car with the lift set to 1/2 ton, it did it easily. Then i just carefully pushed the motor out the bottom. I didnt have anyone help at all, its not too hard.