Just bought an alltrac

calgarygts

Hey guys, I just bought a 90 alltrac tonight. All stock except a manual boost controller (don't know what it's boosting). I'm super pumped about modding this car as I kind of ran out of things to do for a long time on my last one (2000 GTS). And this is the first boosted car I've ever owned, very fun!
One question for you guys is, what would you look at doing first? The exhaust manifold is going to have to be replaced, along with the midpipe (both have small leaks). I'm thinking about going with the ssautochrome manifold and downpipe along with a ko racing bracket to avoid cracking. I was also looking at an aussie midpipe. I am thinking though that a boost gauge would be good, the only problem is I can't find any a-pillar pod mounts. Do you guys know where I can get that piece?
Thanks.

//Zee-Roh//

SSAutochrome = NO NO NO NO NO

KO Racing = YES YES YES YES

Can't tell you how many people got broken ass manifold from SSA... don't waste your money... Get a KO DP and Aussie MP at least... and NOTHING from SSA...

depends on what your goals are hp wise? I would upgrade exhaust, intake, and every reliability mod you can think of (changing fluids, brakes, wipers, belts, hoses, etc.)... It's always better to be safe than sorry, believe me LOL

calgarygts

I thought that the KO racing bracket would prevent cracking of the ssautochrome manifold by taking the weight of the exhaust off of it? Who else has a manifold out there? I'm going to have to replace the manifold one way or the other.
A lot of the reliability issues have been addressed (new struts, springs, calipers, rotors, pads, belts, steering knuckles, wheel bearings).
I'll probably change the wipers and fluids, and maybe get a dress up hose kit (might as well make it pretty while I change hoses). I'll be detailing it soon too, I'm very excited for that. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

db

You can get a Lotek 3 gauge pod at gaugepods.com. I would definitely get a boost gauge as that boost controller is dangerous without it. And I would definitely stick with another stock manifold if I were you. They last a long time, take lots of abuse, and generally aren't needed until you get a big turbo. That money is better spent on getting a full 3" exhaust.

calgarygts

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure about the gains from a tubular manifold. I guess if it doens't make that much of a difference I can look for a stock manifold.
One question - does anyone know if seafoam is safe to run through a turbo car? I can't see why it wounldn't be but I'll ask anyways. Has anyone run this or anything like it through the motor for a good cleaning?=

A

Anonymous

SSAutochrome is notorious for making cheap products that either don't fit, or break shortly after putting them on...They're paper thin, and they suck ass...

KOR and Aussie are your friend.

I think the gauge holder can be found at twosRus.com I bought the universal one, but I think they have an A-pillar mount in there somewhere...

db

I've run seafoam through my car via a vacuum line and through the gas tank. I still haven't tried running it through the oil yet. Worked fine for me.

calgarygts

I'll try the seafoam this weekend maybe. I'll hold off on the oil as I don't have to change it for a while.
//Zee-Roh// - I read the thread on ssautochrome manifolds and most seemed to agree that the bracket would alleviate the stress that causes cracking, and that their products weren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. I'm just curious to hear from some poeple who have actually installed this on their car, wondering if you know someone who has? I realize there is better out there but I'm on a bit of a budget and don't have the money right now for a 400-500USD manifold. However, with a manifold leak I'd like to replace it soon.
Thanks again for all the input.

RIalltrac

are you just trying to make this car reliable? or are you building it up? either way the stock manifold will carry you farther than the stock turbo will. Personally I would opt for the cheapest option and find a used stock mani in good condition. Since you say your on a budget, I highly doubt your building a beast, and you really dont need a tubular mani yet and when you do your not going to want one with a ct-26 flange on it. .02 cents.

calgarygts

true enough. Getting a used stock manifold is probably the way to go. I'm only on a budget for the time being, in two or three months the budget goes way up and I can start buying parts. But you're right that I will be looking at a different turbo one day and I probably should just wait until then to get a tubular manifold.
Thanks for the advice guys.

//Zee-Roh//

I know people who got SSAutochrome manifolds, and people who got LoveFab mani's, and you can guess who was more happy. Anytime you pay that cheap for something, you get what you pay for. Believe me, I almost bought one, but saw one literally fall apart under heat cycling...Just warnin' ya...