VR4

mtbgael

The only two people I know that own VR4s TRY to break them. They drive them like the stole them, one auto-xes it and wins SM about every time he goes. Neither one will break...both with well over 100k. I drive the hell out of my 6G72 (n/a, sohc... 3G eclipse), have 103k on it, and it just keeps asking for more. I have high respect for the 6G72s RELIABILITY. Got to remember, we drive toyotas, which will keep running through the apocolypse. Other things can still be reliable, that break before a toyota :wink:

SuperWhite92

mtbgael":1ziopb7b said:
The only two people I know that own VR4s TRY to break them. They drive them like the stole them, one auto-xes it and wins SM about every time he goes. Neither one will break...both with well over 100k. I drive the hell out of my 6G72 (n/a, sohc... 3G eclipse), have 103k on it, and it just keeps asking for more. I have high respect for the 6G72s RELIABILITY. Got to remember, we drive toyotas, which will keep running through the apocolypse. Other things can still be reliable, that break before a toyota :wink:

I see where you're coming from. My toyota will last through the apocalypse, and the honda i owned before that will last through the second apocalypse. I guess my perception is a bit skewed, having owned a honda and a toyota

XoDuzZ

haha... i can totally see toyota's next catchy commercial add:

TOYOTA: READY TO BE DRIVEN THROUGH THE NEXT APOCALYPSE.

silverarrow

Kinda odd to be ragging on 3kGT vr4s not being fast because like someone said, stock for stock our cars can't beat it. Same mods for mods our cars still can't beat it.

AND most importantly of all, who here on this site has actually own a vr4 and raced, repaired, and maintained one? Those that actually own one have valid reasons to rag on it's reliability, but first of all this subject wasn't even talking about reliability. It was asked about how fast the vr4 was...and it is damn faster stock than 90% of cars on this board is. Sorry guys but I'm speaking the truth. Can't rag on dsms just because they're dsms. Looks like we're repairing our all tracs just as much as those dsm guys are so you guys can't say much about crappy dsm quality.

I'm not a DSM guy, but my friends are and they back it up 110% the whole way. And yes, they ARE fast with minimal mods.

Griffin

silverarrow":x1w0i19a said:
Kinda odd to be ragging on 3kGT vr4s not being fast because like someone said, stock for stock our cars can't beat it. Same mods for mods our cars still can't beat it.

AND most importantly of all, who here on this site has actually own a vr4 and raced, repaired, and maintained one? Those that actually own one have valid reasons to rag on it's reliability, but first of all this subject wasn't even talking about reliability. It was asked about how fast the vr4 was...and it is damn faster stock than 90% of cars on this board is. Sorry guys but I'm speaking the truth. Can't rag on dsms just because they're dsms. Looks like we're repairing our all tracs just as much as those dsm guys are so you guys can't say much about crappy dsm quality.

I'm not a DSM guy, but my friends are and they back it up 110% the whole way. And yes, they ARE fast with minimal mods.

I will say this - I have had to work on a few 3000GT VR4s and Stealth TTs back in the day, and Mitsu definitely found the guy who made the shoehorn they use to cram the alltrac engine in and had him make a much bigger and badder shoehorn to get that TT V6 in there. Its a friggin nightmare to work on when its hot. I imagine one you get used to them though, and if you can work on them at your leisure they are probabloy not TOO bad.

Mafix

i've worked on them and raced them. made me mad when the SOHC base model that i modded for a friend put out over 220hp n/a. and it was still a pig compared to a lot of them. there is a street legal 993kgt that has over 650 friggin hp. and it's awd. Altered Atmospheres test car, some old guy ownes it. but i did see him lose to a 500 hp mercades. those 3kgt's , all of them, can get some stupid high numbers, but like us (at least i would hope to think) all of the guys i know that own them love to see me out there in my celi and i get a bunch of attention and questions and things like that. most of them know that they can pull away at any given time but they just love to screw around like us :D . then there are the few younger crowd that think they are a fast honda. (no offense to ayone with that) but you guys know what i mean. and those guys are cannon fodder. they don't know what they are doing behind the wheel of one of those.

Mafix

quick update that 3kgt is a 94 stealth tt with a 99 conversion and it has dyno proven 760awhp. only runs on race fuel. but driven on the street none the less. nuckin futs.

A

Anonymous

I was just reading through some of this site. I used to have an All-Trac. I put a cat-back on it then had a turbo to cat section custom made by a local mandrel bending shop. It had a Blitz Boost Controller when I bought it and an HKS fliter. I never took it to the track, but it held it's own against my friend's WRX (not STI) when it was stock. Then I sold it and bought a 92 Stealth TT. I went 160 in fourth the first time I took it on the highway. All 91-93's were 5 speeds. I put a turbo back exhaust and eliminated two of the three cats. Put a standalone AEM computer in it, 750cc injectors and a pair of clipped 15G's. I ran a 12.1 @ 121. I owned the Stealth for two years, and the All-Trac for two years. The Stealth was faster by a long shot, even stock, but the All-Trac was more fun in alot of ways, much smaller, much less intimidating. I blew two water pumps, collapsed lash adjusters, and warped the hell out of the driveshaft on the Stealth. Most of this before I even started modding it. I had to do the wheel bearings on the All-Trac when I bought it, but that's why I got it so cheap. For the record, I went 172 in 4th, at 6k on the tach in the Stealth, sometimes the car was scary. I miss them both, and I will buy another of both,
but I'll probably buy another All-Trac before a Stealth.

Ervin_S

easy....easy...........can't all cars just live in harmony........ :D :D

704363_28_full.jpg

Point proven :wink:

MATT-S

I have 2 JDM GTO's sitting on my drive at the moment, one is stock and the other is slightly modified (3.5" exhaust with twin tail pipes, single cat, hks pods and avc-r) I have owned my four from stock and it now has gutted cat, hks 1mm hg, ct20b, spec clutch, hks pod and probably a few other things that I can't remember running at 14psi. The GTO's are definately faster and very torquey, the interior is a lot nicer and they are really nice looking cars. But unless i'm on a long open road the four is better. I think that on the small country roads we have here in Wales the four will run rings around the big gto, they are 6'6" wide!!! and they feel really bulky and inprecise, they are very fast on boost but they are laggy as hell below 4k and the gearing is far too tall, also the suspension is very hard, even on tour mode, and although it handles well it feels very skitish and on the edge.
My choice would be GTO for long fast runs and the four for nipping about and point to point acceleration.
Cheers
Matt

MATT-S

The engine bay is a lot more crowded on the gto, but it's mainly hoses and things up on top, there is quite a lot of room beneath it all, so i would say it's about the same, but the plugs on the rear bank of the v6 are quite a lot of work for something that is routine.
Cheers
Matt

A

Anonymous

The two at a glance seen about the same, but Matt5 is right. It's mostly the I/C hoses in the Stealth/VR4. The All-Trac is probably more packed just because the space occupied in the bay is filled with objects that are more difficult to remove. And yeah, doing your spark plugs SUCKS on the VR4/Stealth. It took me fifteen minutes to do the front three and another eight and a half hours to change the back three and put everything back together. Lot's of fun... Had to remove the Intercoolers piping, the upper intake, the pipe that joins the two I/C pipes to the upper intake...

MARLON1211

MATT-S":2b6njzgq said:
I have 2 JDM GTO's sitting on my drive at the moment, one is stock and the other is slightly modified (3.5" exhaust with twin tail pipes, single cat, hks pods and avc-r) I have owned my four from stock and it now has gutted cat, hks 1mm hg, ct20b, spec clutch, hks pod and probably a few other things that I can't remember running at 14psi. My choice would be GTO for long fast runs and the four for nipping about and point to point acceleration.
Cheers
Matt

Hows the 20b in out Tracs compared to the 26, did it made alot of difference, cause am thinking of buying one this summer. Is it worth it.

A

Anonymous

Hi Marlon,
The 20b is much, much better than the 26, if you aren't looking for too much power it's brilliant. I can't beleive that Toyota could make 2 turbos that are outwardly similar but perform so differently. The 20b is a little laggier but it is worth it in the long run, especially at higher boost. I reckon you would see a noticeable improvement in power just from fitting the 20b and retaining the standard boost, and the more you turn it up the better it gets.
You'll notice the car feels raw, and a lot more like a rally car than a subdued tamed road car.
Hope that helps
Matt

A

Anonymous

DOH that last post was me Marlon, I forgot to log on.
Cheers
matt