New Guy and Hopefully Future All-Trac Owner

A

Anonymous

Hello,

New to Toyotas but not turbos or AWD. I currently own a '99 Subaru Outback and have several friends with various other Legacys and WRX's, so I can find my way around a turbo or AWD system. But I also know that every brand has its quirks and secrets. I am going to look at a '93 All - Trac tonight and was wondering what I need to look for. Any chronic tranny issues, output shafts, or head gaskets? Thanks for all your help and I look forward to getting to know you. :)

Alex

fsmtnbiker

The driveline is extremely tough in the Alltrac - There's a couple guys making obscene power on stock everything (minus clutch)... And doing 7k+ rpm clutch sidesteps.

The HG is pretty tough as well, but no more so than any other turbo 4. If you want to go above 17-18 psi its a good idea to change it out.

Most of the chronic issues that arise with the car are electronics related - At least from what I've seen. But, that being said, they're pretty solid overall as you'd expect from Toyota.

InitialD93

tranny is pretty much bullet proof, however the syncros my be worn. check for the usual, check the fluids, look for leaks, makesure the electronics work

these cars like to eat wheel bearings about every 12-24 months so be aware of that on the test drive

look for rust in the wheel wells and the floor board

NOTE there are only 80 something 93 all-tracs in the USA... very rare and good find, if u dont buy it post up im sure someone else will

A

Anonymous

Thats why it grabbed my attention, I am hoping it is in good shape as I have been searching for awhile and would love to add it to the garage. Thanks for all the help guys. Keep it coming :)

db

Other common problems in the higher mileage cars are oil leaks (oil filter gasket, rear main seal, valve cover seal) and the rear differential cushion being worn out. The diff cushion will make thunking sounds when you go on and off the accelerator hard. Not too many other true recurring problems with these cars.

PS. Oh, and there was a service campaign regarding the AC system leaking. If the car hasn't been converted from R12 yet, you might wanna find out if the car was fixed.

Edited for retardedness.

A

Anonymous

Turns out it sold already, and it was posted for less than a day :( . Thank you so much everyone that gave me all the great info. Maybe next time :roll:

jprine01

Hehe reminds me of my alltrac. I seen it on autotrader, called him up, stopped by on my way home from work and gave him a deposit then. He told me he just listed it that day. 2 days later he is calling me up like all these people keep calling, one guy said he will buy it without looking at it (For the asking price, and I talked him down 1000$) you got a good deal! Im like pfft, i got lucky :p

And its just a 90', 93's are probably super hot.

Griffin

Thats because its a 93 - That car is ULRA rare - less than 80 of them imported in 93. If you find one you buy it - period. If you don't want to keep it a board member will probably buy it off you. I know I'd go into debt to get one if I found a clean 93.