St165, gen4 swap, trying to get tach to work

760gt4

So I have a gen4 3s in my st165 and I'm trying to get my tach to work. Since the motor uses an ecu based tach I need to change or bypass the resistor but I'm not sure on which resistor it might be since the circuit board looks different than in the sw20 so I can't use it as a comparison My guess is this one in the picture but can anyone clarify? Or maybe one in the other picture?
e435db2c9c2d4e7ab2264dc8bbba5cf0.jpg

f0759def2f7d356de67631fa333c623f.jpg

760gt4

OK, that circuit board looks exactly like the one on my tach as well. So did it work perfectly fine after you put the 30k resistor?

Welllll I was not sure what my solution was going to be yet and I have a tac converter box so I left those wires unhooked. I did not have my computer with the diagrams to figure it out so I am not sure yet I will have to get back to you in a couple days. Also Charlie said you can remove and replace the resistor with a 15k one. I bought 2 15K and 2 30K just incase. They are super cheap at Digikey like 10 cents or something. I paralleled the 30k one on like he did I will see how that works tomorrow or Monday. I can get you the part numbers if you need let me know.

760gt4

I dont have time today to try it out or else I would, and tomorrow morning I leave to Alaska for work. I'll be home in about a month so I'll have to wait til then to try it out. I've had 3 msd tach converters and they all worked perfectly for 5 minutes before randomly burning out so I gave up on those.

It worked! Unfortunately I hear a little knock in the bottom end now... looks like its coming out for new bearings and maybe replace the crank. But hey the tachometer works great! lol 1 step forward 2 steps back.

760gt4

Did you happen to get a picture after you paralleled the resistors? And sucks to hear about that knock hopefully you get everything sorted out.

No I didn't but there is a pic on that thread I linked you to earlier of what it should look like. Mine is a little sloppier, I am not very good with a soldering iron I usually use a small torch for soldering wires. It is a fiddly job for sure, take your time and stay calm. lol

760gt4

I just saw it again and now I understand it. I'll do that as soon as I get home which should be in a month or so. I will get the tach working and as soon as I do I will remove the current setup and transfer it to my new st165. Here's the picture of the 30k resister paralleled to the original for reference.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1452490095255.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1452490095255.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 2,142