Head Noise

New members MUST post a new intro thread before they can access the rest of the forum.

Head Noise

Postby FAMGT4 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:37 am

I recently rebuilt my 1990 celica 3sgte engine with new pistons, rods, cams, valves, and springs. The only thing I reused was the crankshaft which was inspected and resurfaced. I have this head noise that seems to be the cams and valves making it but I cannot seem to find why its making it. I have redone and checked my timing over and over and its not it. I have looked for metal shavings and there isn't any. So now the only thing I think I believe is wrong is that not enough oil is reaching the head. Please help!! Would like some advice maybe Im missing something. Or maybe this is normal?? highly doubt it though. Attached is the video I uploaded to youtube hopefully its helpful. I really want to be driving again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_a-MD70H90
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
FAMGT4

Re: Head Noise

Postby yyonline » Mon May 15, 2017 4:14 am

Sounds like a valve shim is too loose. Check the valve lifter to camshaft clearances.
1992 Toyota Celica all-trac (the dream car)
1993 Toyota Celica ST (the efficient daily driver)
2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track (the fun daily driver)
yyonline
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Re: Head Noise

Postby FAMGT4 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:30 am

Thank you for your response. I have checked the shim clearance and everything was in specs, nothing out of the ordinary.
FAMGT4

Return to New Member Forum