Running Lean Gen 2 3SGTE

FlannelFairlady

I have been having issue the past few days where my afr been okay while the car is warming up but after it is warm the afr is 14-15. There is a few instances it will drop back down to the normal range but for the most part it is constant. My initial thought was fuel so I changed the filter and that didn't help at all. I am starting to think it might be afm or ecu related, and if that is the case I am just going to rip out the ecu and go standalone.The car is a 90 with a freshly rebuilt engine. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

FlannelFairlady

I'm thinking it's the afm or the ecu, when I give it 100% throttle the afr drops to where it is supposed to be, which is when it goes to open loop. The issue is only happening when the car is running in closed loop.

underscore

Were the injectors cleaned when the engine was rebuilt? How old is the fuel pump? I think there are a few other gen 2 owners near you so you should be able to find someone to borrow an ecu from for a quick test.

FlannelFairlady

No that I know of but I am ruling out fuel due to everything working correctly and the afr looks fine when the car goes into open loop. The issue is only happening when the car is in closed loop. I may try and track down another ecu to confirm but if it's the ecu or the afm I will just throw them both in the garbage and go standalone. Unless I am missing something.

crackerjack

I am going to say its your O2 sensor but if you want to go stand alone ECU.
shoot me a pm as I have a plug and play link ECU specifically for the Alltrac or MR2 and its
brand new in the box.

cheers.

FlannelFairlady

Everything (maf, tps, o2 sensor, plugs, wires, ect.) tested alright in the car which makes this even more baffling. Everything I have read says the gen 2 electronics have drivability issues. I am just going to get rid of them and go standalone.

underscore

Given the age, perhaps the caps in the ecu are drying out. If you're somewhat handy with a soldering iron that would be a cheap fix, and probably something that should be done anyways with parts this old. I've never been a fan of the headaches and costs of standalone systems, but that's just a personal preference.

FlannelFairlady

It's possible that is the issue but I want to get rid of good of the airflow meter. After dealing with headache after headache with that thing, I feel I am doing myself and the car a favor. Plus I most likely going to pick up a Megasquirt PnP ecu so the setup should be minimal after. I like being able to see what all the sensors in the car are doing, it's much easier from a diagnostics standpoint.