ST185 GT4 cuts out after 3 seconds

KoreanBadger

I've got a ST185 GT4 that has just had a engine conversion. for a week it was running perfect i have no problems at all but now it doesn't want to stay on for more than 3 seconds. It starts but then cuts out i'm thinking it's a fuel pump issue but before i start doing the trail & error i wanted to see if anyone could shed a light on this if they have come across this issue before?

KoreanBadger

gtfour93":2malx1yd said:
Remove the fuel pump relay and add a jumper wire between the top left and bottom right terminals.
So i presume if it works from putting the jumper wire in i'll need a new relay?

hoys

oNn4pQQ.png

Here is the diagram for the pump. There are a good bit of things that can go wrong before the fuel pump relay.

FC Zach

gtfour93":3ln91uoz said:
Remove the fuel pump relay and add a jumper wire between the top left and bottom right terminals.

Bridging "+B" & "FP" in the test connector will bypass the relay too. I had a start up issue as well and that's what I did to diagnose a failed relay.

gtfour93

KoreanBadger":3trxdi53 said:
gtfour93":3trxdi53 said:
So i presume if it works from putting the jumper wire in i'll need a new relay?
I no longer use a fuel pump relay. Just a good gauge jumper wire and never looked back.

Redrkt01

Fuel is good place to start as said. I'd also look into vacuum. You could've had perfectly sealed hose clamps that lost their grip due to vibration after a short time. I had a swap that would start and die after about 1.5 seconds and it was vacuum.

KoreanBadger

Thank you all for the advice. However i've changed the relay today and also jumper wired it as suggested but i still have the same problem. So today i've ordered a new ignition coil as i've seen this could be a problem aswell i've tried to buy a new MAF meter but i can't find one in the UK. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated

KoreanBadger

Redrkt01":1i7svawc said:
Fuel is good place to start as said. I'd also look into vacuum. You could've had perfectly sealed hose clamps that lost their grip due to vibration after a short time. I had a swap that would start and die after about 1.5 seconds and it was vacuum.
Thank you i'll look at the clamps tomorrow.

underscore

I'd try bypassing it anyways, dying after 3 seconds is what my brothers old car did when the aftermarket immobilizer started to crap out.