Wheel bearing replacement tips or advice?

lalojamesliz1

Hey guys I ordered 4 TIMKEN wheel bearings and the seals and replacement clips just to be safe. I dont have a press available so I was going to rent something to remove and install the bearings from autozone.
Any suggestions on specific tools that work good to remove and install bearings from our hubs?
I dont have any grinding noise from the wheels but it's at 154k miles so I know it can't hurt.
Thanks guys

Magroo

https://m.harborfreight.com/front-wheel ... 63728.html

I bought one of these and it works fine. Just make sure you're using it the right direction for pulling and installing. Watch some south main auto videos on wheel bearings for a better idea how it works.

When you pull the hub, the inner-outer race will stay with the hub most of the time. Use a dremel with a cuttof wheel to score it and it usually cracks and is easy to slide off. No need for a bearing splitter or press.

Unbolt the ball joint from the control arm so you don't have mess with the strut-nuckle.

As for the rears.... Yeah...

Don't commit to anything until you actually work some bolts free from the spindle/knuckle. Be patient. Start soaking it in whatever your favorite penetrating fluid is at least a week before you touch them. Dont force anything, go slow. Fire.

lalojamesliz1

Magroo":354h2wi4 said:
https://m.harborfreight.com/front-wheel-bearing-adapters-63728.html

I bought one of these and it works fine. Just make sure you're using it the right direction for pulling and installing. Watch some south main auto videos on wheel bearings for a better idea how it works.

When you pull the hub, the inner-outer race will stay with the hub most of the time. Use a dremel with a cuttof wheel to score it and it usually cracks and is easy to slide off. No need for a bearing splitter or press.

Unbolt the ball joint from the control arm so you don't have mess with the strut-nuckle.

Don't commit to anything until you actually work some bolts free from the spindle/knuckle. Be patient. Start soaking it in whatever your favorite penetrating fluid is at least a week before you touch them. Dont force anything, go slow. Fire.

Magroo

OTC 6575-1 Hub Grappler Puller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005PL1PDA/re ... qBbTC8AFA7

Forgot to mention I bought one of these also. Yeah its a bit pricey but honestly when your knee deep in the shit, cost doesn't mean too much when you need to get the job done.

I tried renting the slide hammer puller from autozone and had no luck with it. Ended up destroying some wheel nuts in the process.

A lot of times you can get the HF kit for under $100, sometimes around $80. I did end up upgrading the nut/screw combo to the OTC brand ones later on. My subaru goes through wheel bearings pretty often, but I also drive it like 25k a year on new england roads.

So for $200ish its cheaper than a shop and get to keep the tools.

lalojamesliz1

Damn I didn't even realize I had to get something to yank out the hub. It's my first time :p
I Vatozone has the bearing puller/install tool that I can rent from them. I need to check for the puller

lalojamesliz1

Magroo":3lssd5x6 said:
https://m.harborfreight.com/front-wheel-bearing-adapters-63728.html

I'm looking at buying the otc 6575 and renting the bearing kit. I think I'm ready for the front wheels but are the back bearings harder to replace?
I've been busy and haven't had a chance to do this. Plus its been 104 degrees during the day and I work nights. I've got a nice stretch of days off very soon so i'mma try to tackle it then

Magroo

Fronts are relatively easy, so long as the snap ring comes out without a fight. Unbolt from bottom of control arm. Undo the axle nut and the axle slides right out.

Rears are a bit more difficult cause you're dealing with the parking brake, and removing the axle from the hub. You have to unbolt the 2 lateral links and trailing arm to get it out.

You MIGHT be able to unbolt the axle from the diff and slide it down to pull it out of the hub, but if those bolts have never been touched you might also be opening up a can of worms.

Either way just soak the F out of everything before you touch it.

lalojamesliz1

Magroo":2ssjked7 said:
Fronts are relatively easy, so long as the snap ring comes out without a fight. Unbolt from bottom of control arm. Undo the axle nut and the axle slides right out.

Rears are a bit more difficult cause you're dealing with the parking brake, and removing the axle from the hub. You have to unbolt the 2 lateral links and trailing arm to get it out.

You MIGHT be able to unbolt the axle from the diff and slide it down to pull it out of the hub, but if those bolts have never been touched you might also be opening up a can of worms.

Either way just soak the F out of everything before you touch it.

Sounds great. Thank you for your help

lalojamesliz1

I got the OTC grappler you suggested Magroo. Beefy ass puller huh lol
I'm going to rent the bearing puller kit. Still waiting for my rear subframe poly bushings to arrive. I plan to take care of all that stuff at once.