replacement for throttle cable?

EvilStig

Does anyone know of a replacement part for the original ST185 throttle cable I could use to fix a sticky throttle? bonus points if I can run it around behind the engine.

Magroo

Try using some WD-40 on it. Also check to make sure the butterfly plate isn't sticking in the throttle body. It might just need a good cleaning.

EvilStig

93celicaconv":3u83zszk said:
Does your ST185 have electronic cruise control? Vacuum cruise control? Or no cruise control?

I believe it had vacuum cruise control--the previous owner did a delete of it, and kept all the parts, which I was hoping to put back in while I had everything all apart this time.

EvilStig

Magroo":2rsq3hpn said:
Try using some WD-40 on it. Also check to make sure the butterfly plate isn't sticking in the throttle body. It might just need a good cleaning.

I'm pretty sure wd40 would only dissolve/deteriorate the plastic cable sheath further.

EvilStig":u6wlzicc said:
93celicaconv":u6wlzicc said:
Does your ST185 have electronic cruise control? Vacuum cruise control? Or no cruise control?

I believe it had vacuum cruise control--the previous owner did a delete of it, and kept all the parts, which I was hoping to put back in while I had everything all apart this time.
The only way your ST185 would have a vacuum cruise control actuator is if it never had Anti-Lock brakes. Does (or did) your ST185 have Anti-Lock brakes?

EvilStig

93celicaconv":22dxa50u said:
EvilStig":22dxa50u said:
93celicaconv":22dxa50u said:

The only way your ST185 would have a vacuum cruise control actuator is if it never had Anti-Lock brakes. Does (or did) your ST185 have Anti-Lock brakes?

must be electronic then since it has ABS... however it appears I may have lost the module. I'm looking for it now....

EDIT: Found it and installed it, it's an electronic cruise control actuator.

This is what my throttle cable looks like, so you can probably see why I'd want to replace it...

alltracman78

Cable from a ST184 is longer, you may be able to route it behind the engine without any of the curves being too tight. :shrug:

EvilStig

alltracman78":1cwj8tte said:
Cable from a ST184 is longer, you may be able to route it behind the engine without any of the curves being too tight. :shrug:

longer than the 185 cable? now that is a feat...

mine is still routed on top to the front and back again because that's the only way it fits.

I also believe the ST184 throttle cable is longer than the ST185. I'll check sometime this week, as I have both in the garage right now.

celi703

I needed a throttle cable for my alltrac and could not find the original since its discontinued.
I tried one from a st184 and read on here that its longer but turned out shorter for me.
It is snug with the st205 heat exhanger but put some heat wrap for extra protection.
Now the throttle response is great and the cable is great quality.
The link for the cable is here if anyone is looking for an alternative:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-1992-1993 ... 2749.l2649
Just noticed the price went up too?? Bought it for $45

Attachments

• IMG_3700.jpg
    IMG_3700.jpg
    786 KB · Views: 2,349
  • IMG_3701.jpg
    IMG_3701.jpg
    865.1 KB · Views: 2,349
Glad you found a solution. The original throttle cable was held by a clip on the discharge hose band from the turbo, so your pic shows a considerably shorter than original throttle cable. I have my 5th Gen's tucked in pretty tight in winter storage, so I won't be able to measure length differences until spring. Looks like you don't need another fix regarding a throttle cable anyway.

silverarrow

You want to avoid WD40, my truck had a sticky throttle cable when I first bought it. I oiled it up with 3-in-1 All Temp Silicone Oil about 6-8 months ago and its been completely smooth now.