Weather stripping

Mr Alltrac":fwoik13r said:
Are any of the stock window seals, sun roof seals, or door seals available still?
Fairly sure they are not, but you should get a list of all the part numbers and take them to a Toyota dealer's parts group and have them do a look-up to check.

That said, the OEM seals of this age are generally in pretty good shape from a flexibility and dimensional perspective. If they have been damaged from previous removal and reinstallations that didn't follow good practices, or that damaged the small clips used to secure them, that tends to be the only issues they have. If you have damaged ones, salvage sources on cars who haven't had the seals previously removed would be a suggested alternative.

Corey

I replaced my car's upper door weather seals a couple years ago. At the time I think there were only one or two more in the system...

I still have my originals if you're interested, not sure how bad yours are, but could be an option for you.

Cheers

There is at least one hatch-back 5th Gen Celica in a pick'n-pull near me. I believe at least the hatch seals are in good shape - but I wasn't looking at them in particular. There are several other 5th Gen Celica coupes in the yard. I'm sure between them, there would be a combination that would provide reasonably good weatherstripping parts yet. But I don't know what the reason was for the original request. If the original request was only to put fresh new weatherstripping on the car, then used ones wouldn't be considered an acceptable option.

The previous owner of my car removed the door weather stripping and tore them, which his fix was to silicone them. They dont seal correctly or look nice. He also repainted the car in his backyard without removing anything and doing a very bad job at taping off things so the sunroof stripping basically painted that shut. The rear hatch one is dry rotting and splitting in a few places.
I was looking at getting it repainted here pretty soon so I wanted to address these while I had them pulled out.

Sounds like salvage weatherstripping is an option for you, as long as there isn't any paint on them, no tears, and no dry-rotting or areas splitting due to getting hard. Do you have any pick'n-pulls near you that have 5th Gen Celicas in them? If yes, I would suggest to consider that. Do you have all those little OEM plastic clips that hold weatherstripping to the body/door metal? If not, you'll need those also. My experience with them is about half of those clips will no long clip properly after being removed once, so unless you get new clips, you will have to get a bunch of extra ones from the salvage yard. Good thing about weatherstripping clips is that Toyota used them for a lot of years across many different models, so you would have a lot of donors for them.

alltrac801

Mr Alltrac":2jp7yoii said:
The previous owner of my car removed the door weather stripping and tore them, which his fix was to silicone them. They dont seal correctly or look nice. He also repainted the car in his backyard without removing anything and doing a very bad job at taping off things so the sunroof stripping basically painted that shut. The rear hatch one is dry rotting and splitting in a few places.
I was looking at getting it repainted here pretty soon so I wanted to address these while I had them pulled out.

I have never understood why some people half ass a paint job. It doesn't ever turn out nice and is a pain to fix. My car has so much overspray and looks terrible. I want to save up some money to have it painted correctly but I keep buying other stuff! I swear my car is a bully and takes all my money.

The closet pick yard that would have 5th gens would probably be el paso but I'm not 100% sure they have any there. Maybe one weekend I'll drive down and check it out.

Yes half ass paint jobs are the worst!!

sefiroxx

I just pulled a set from south Dallas. There is another 5th with a full set, the car is in the line to be crushed - been there for 6 weeks.

Mr Alltrac":13sr2kt2 said:
The closet pick yard that would have 5th gens would probably be el paso but I'm not 100% sure they have any there. Maybe one weekend I'll drive down and check it out.

Yes half ass paint jobs are the worst!!
I won't be able to get to the yard that I know would have good weather-stripping for you for at least 2-3 weeks. And I don't know what your budget is or what the yard would charge me to get them. If that is an option you want to explore, let me know - we can work out details ahead of me going to the yard to inspect and potential remove/buy them.

I dont know how much they actually go for. If you have reason to stop by there, ask and see what the price would be and let me know. I'm trying to set up a time frame of when my car can get painted so I'm in no rush right now.

sefiroxx

Use a small pry bar, preferably right angle. The clips are small, with two thin wings that fit inside the seal. Be sure to lift perpendicular from the hole, with support on both sides of the clip, do not bend.

Rick89GTS":1ojvnolx said:
Anyone have a part number or photo of these window trim/moulding clips?
(I'm referring to the quarter windows)
It's been awhile. Are we talking about an ST165? If for an ST185, please see the view below for your answer.

Attachments

• ST185 Side Molding Exploded Parts View.png
    ST185 Side Molding Exploded Parts View.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 898

alltracman78

He's talking about the quarter windows. The triangular shaped ones.

IIRC On the 185 they're part of the window and the whole thing us silicones and held in by nuts on the inside?
Haven't had one of them off in years and years.

Rick89GTS

Sorry, my bad. I was talking about the 165. I thought the windows were secured by the same system on the 185 but guess they are not. Thx.

Very unclear to me what your request is, except that it is for an ST165.

Do you want to know how the rear quarter windows are held in place? Or, per the thread title, are you looking for the weatherstripping of the front windows attached to where the rear quarter windows are?

Rick89GTS

On the ST165 I was asking how the black trim mouldings that go over the rear quarter glass are secured. (I thought the ST185 was the same, but apparently not.)