not reaching working temp, but overflowing from tank

Murasenki

Hi everybody, I bought a Celica st185 Alltrac turbo last week. I already knew that the car wouldn't reach working temperature, a little less than half of the gauge, and other small issues, but I didn't think much.

Now the problem is:
-Heater is not working (valve behind the firewall opens, visual inspection)
-Coolant overflows from the coolant reservoir.

The car was in a collection for a lot of years, from 2008 the car travelled for 3k kilometres.

I noticed that when I park the car, bubbles come out from the overflow of the coolant tank. Is there a possibility that after so many years the coolant additive is gone and just water is inside? The liquid is in terrible state, in brownish colour (not milkshake luckily).

Do you have experience or suggestions for this issue?

The car has a couple minor issues like: antenna not going up, square tyres, rear trunk struts not sustaining the weight. Nothing serious.

I hope to be welcomed in this community, this is my first project car and I have a lot to learn from you.

Have a good day!

underscore

Welcome!

I'd start by flushing whatever old mess is currently in the cooling system and burping it properly. The bubbling may be the rad cap failing to hold the pressure. If the car has been mostly sitting it's probably pretty old.

First, on the instrument cluster temperature gauge, the normal operating temperature needle position on these cars is generally just short of half-way between C & H. If that is where yours is, I would call that normal.

Second, if the car has been basically unused for 14 years and hasn't had it's fluids touched during that timeframe, it is prudent to change all fluids, especially coolant, brake, engine oil, etc.

Third, bubbles seen in the overflow bottle - as underscore stated, it is possible the lower radiator cap seal isn't working so that when the engine was last brought up to normal operating temperature and turned off, it isn't drawing coolant into the system from the overflow bottle back into the radiator, but drawing air instead. Then when the engine is run next and the coolant expands in the cooling system, the air in the top of the radiator is the first to be pushed back into the overflow bottle. You can verify if this is the situation by removing the radiator cap from the radiator when everything is cold - is the coolant level in the radiator filled right up to the radiator cap seal on the radiator? If it is much lower, that could be your problem. If it is full to the top, and you still are getting bubbles, then you could very well have a blown head gasket that is pushing exhaust gases into the cooling system. You could have your coolant analyzed to see if it contains evidence of exhaust gases. This could also explain your unusual color in the coolant. A blown headgasket could just leak exhaust gases into the cooling system, but not oil. Although I would think you would also loose some coolant into the combustion chamber too (unless your radiator cap no longer holds pressure in you cooling system).

Murasenki

First i want to change the coolant, it is full to the radiator cap but has a lot of dirt in it.

Second I already ordered a coolant test, and I am praying :shrug:

But can be that while working the coolant is just a little low and is pulling inside air.

Thank you everyone for your help.