165 Intercooler temps. (test #1)

Shaggz00

Hey everyone,
I had this topic in wiring, but I think its more fitting in the Tuning section.
So basically, I installed my Nordskog Temp. gauge today. Its a digital Gauge that reads as low as 60 degrees farenheit. I bought two temp senders seperately cuz it didn't come with any. What I did was install the temp sender in-line with the hose carrying coolant into the W2A ST-165 intercooler. Now my gauge tells me exactly what temp the coolant is. I figure if I put another one on the other hose carrying coolant out of the intercooler to the exchanger, I can figure out how efficient the intercooler is.

My findings were this(in degrees farenheit):
before I turned the car on:......................77
at a cold idle temp was ..........................80-85
Driving at temp......................................99-107
Idling at temp........................................138-145
outside air temp....................................about 70 degrees farenheit
(It was pretty interesting to see the temp change as the pump kicked on and off)

Just thought it's a cool thing to know. I'll post more when I have the outlet tempurature also.
BTW, total cost for this setup excluding the gauge pod was about $85 and 4 hours install time, with breaks :D

Enjoy!

stevieg

question, if you wanted to test the efficiency of your W2A Intercooler wouldnt it be better to check the temp of the air pre and post the IC? if i understand it correctly you are measuring the water temp?

steve

Shaggz00

Since I finished the install today, I have been thinking a lot about the air tempurature. There are two seperate bits of information going on here. And I suppose I did choose the more difficult of the two routes.

I am trying to find out how efficient the heat exchanger is in cooling the fluid(the heat exchanger being the little radiator looking thing in the front of the car). I could use the data I gather going in, and coming out of the intercooler along with the ambient air temp, to calculate how efficient the system is. Then I can do mods such as making the pump run constantly(which I dont see doing much)or adding a fan to the exchanger. That way I will know exactly how effective each mod is.(I figure it would be helpful to all of us to know which mods are worthwhile, and which are not.)

On the other hand, if I measured the air temp before and after the intercooler. I could use the data to figure out how efficient the intercooler is in cooling the intake air temp. Which is directly related to how efficient the heat exchanger is, because if the heat exchanger sucks, the air will not cool as well.

Basically the two are measuring the same thing, but in different ways. Thanks for the suggestion, I have seriously been thinking about putting air temp sensors before and after the intercooler as well. They are all worthwhile bits of info.

edv-tek

Great work Avi. I know it is getting colder outside but I wonder how Redline WaterWetter would have an effect on your setup. I have some at the shop if you want to try. They advertize that in a conventional radiator 50% Glycol and water @ 228 degrees F and Water w/WaterWetter @ 202degrees F. Talk to you soon. -ed

killer_siller

sweet stuff. i really want to see what the idling temp is w/ the intercooler pump running constant, how much of a difference that would make. i'm seriously considering that mod because i plan on autocrossing my car, and top mount intercoolers suck for autocross. you get way too much heat transfer from the engine when your sitting in the box waiting for your run (a guy in the chapter i'm in has an st185, and he pops the hood and puts crushed ice on his IC while hes sitting).