Oil Pressure and Turbo Failure

DipStick

The shop, who just rebuilt my 1 year old, 15k mile old CT26 could not determine the true cause of why it failed. The only thing that they could realisticly suggest is that I may have an oil problem. The turbo is out right now, ready to go back in. I got a cheap oil pressure guage that I plan to temporarily hook up where the existing pressure switch is on the head ( the guage came with the correct fitting to do this in a snap).
Questions:
1: What kind of pressure should I realisticly see at idle and various RPMs?

2: Will the pressure reading off of the head be an accurate (enough?) indication of what kind of pressure the turbo is seeing?

3: Are there any other oil checks that I can do now since the turbo is out?

4: Anything else I should know / try?

The car is a stock '92 ST-185, with nearly 140,000 miles, running AMSoil 10W-30 Synthetic. Prior to this rebuld the turbo was a stock JDM CT26, freshly rebuilt. It has now been rebuilt to USDM spec w/ no upgrades (the ceramic was ruined and metal are much easier to find here).

Thanks in advance for your help!

TexasAlltrac

If it were me putting a fresh turbo on my car...I would go ahead and replace the oil pump, it is not much more work to do than you already have done. Get toyota branded if you can. Too much at-risk to use aftermarket.

Oil pressure should be moot at that point.

Verify that your coolant hoses are attached to the turbo properly when you re-assemble.

Also, make sure you do not have any kinks in the oil return or feed lines. There is a rubber hose on the return line to the oilpan that has a sharp turn in it.

alltracman78

TexasAlltrac":1q6oip68 said:
If it were me putting a fresh turbo on my car...I would go ahead and replace the oil pump, it is not much more work to do than you already have done.

Um, it's actually quite a bit more work. You have to pull off the timing belt, ect. Not saying it's a bad idea tho.

Check the oil feed line and see if it's clogged. Maybe soak it in solvent. Pressure should be good at that port. After all, its [the oil passages in the head] got to feed the cam journals/valves.