how do you reset the timing?

furpo

the diagnostic terminal is on the left hand side on the fire wall for the right hand drive jdm st185's.

the autodata books (volume 4 covers this model) will tell you which terminals to bridge. i carn't remeber off the top of my head. i think it is the same one for cheaking the fault codes. terminal FP and B+ are for the fuel pump so it is not the FP one.

does someone know which terminal it is?

roger

furpo

at idle you use a timing light. this light clips on to an earth, a power and the number one plug lead. you shine it on the timing marks and it will strobe every time the spark plug fires. if you turn the dizzy you will see the number that is coming up on the timing mark change. set it to 10 degrees and clamp the dizzy back up. make sure to take the bridge out of the diagnostic terminal before you drive off.

if you didn't know this then it would be best to get a manual and have a read of it before you strart. manuals are very helpful and in the end of the day you fill save money because you will do more work on your car.

roger

illGT4

mtbgael":36gzn8zb said:
can someone confirm this? I want to check it but I don't have any kind of manual yet. Thanks!

Confirm what? The above has just confirmed it well. Again, if you don't know how to do this, you may want to look into getting some type of manual.

mtbgael

crap i forgot to quote. Yes, i have adjusted timing before...did it several times on my old '87 GT-S. This is what I wanted to double check:
TE and E1 I do believe.

sorry for the confusion

Rick89GTS

If you're not sure, just flip open the cover on the diagnostic box; it's written on the inside. I believe it's actually T and E1.

illGT4

mtbgael":dshxoxnc said:
crap i forgot to quote. Yes, i have adjusted timing before...did it several times on my old '87 GT-S. This is what I wanted to double check:
TE and E1 I do believe.

sorry for the confusion

Yes.

alltracman78

Rick89GTS":2ftyyyjj said:
If you're not sure, just flip open the cover on the diagnostic box; it's written on the inside. I believe it's actually T and E1.

Actually it's TE1 and E1(for a 90-93).
I will confirm in about a hr, when I get home.

alltracman78

Yes, it's TE1 and E1.

One side note, I don't know how different JDM wiring is, but if the wiring is different, you run the possibility of damaging your ecu if you jump the wrong connections.

Rick89GTS

alltracman78":3ij2asko said:
Rick89GTS":3ij2asko said:

Actually it's TE1 and E1(for a 90-93).
I will confirm in about a hr, when I get home.

Sorry, my mistake. I'm thinking 165 :doh: