AM2 fuse questions - also running out of ideas.

boogiedown5150

Ok if its not one thing its another with my car. I try to start it and it blows the 30 amp AM2 fuse. What are some of the things this connects? Or common problems why this would blow. I was reading the schmatics in the bgb and yeah.......could someone help me. Thanks -Dave

boogiedown5150

Please help......I have been trouble shooting this and I keep blowing fuses. This is what happens....I put in a new 30 amp AM2 fuse and it is good but once I go to turn the car over it pops. Now here is another question. When I turn the key forward the fuse doesn't pop right away it takes a few seconds. Could that be the ECU shorting. Please any suggestions please. Thank you-Dave

From wiring book - AM2 goes to 1) IGN switch which goes to 7.5 Amp
fuse which I guess you are not blowing so thats not it

2) goes to noise filter (for ignition) then to ground
3) positive side of ignition coil
4) EFI resistor pack
5) Ignitor

So I guess I would test these parts ......

boogiedown5150

Ok I checked my ignitor, coil, resistor pack, and ecu....nothing and still blowing fuses. I unhooked all of those and still can't keep a fuse from blowing out. So where is the noise filter located and if its not that then the only thing it could be would be the ignition switch right? Is there a way to test the polarity with a meter?

boogiedown5150

First of all I appreciate your help and the fuse is located in the fuse box right next to the battery. It's the pinkish colored 30 amp fuse. It's a big plastic one thats what I am talking about.

Well I should have read your first post better, it still blows the AM2
fuse when you turn the key to ACC or ON (and when you turn it
all the way to start the car)? AM1 (again tied to switch) is a 40 amp fuse so I guess the 30 is blowing first.

Could you check if any of your other fuses are blown

drivers side kick panel -
7.5 amp IGN
10 amp TURN
15 amp CIG & RADIO
15 amp ECU-IG
15 amp GUAGE
20 amp WIPER

30 amp POWER - Also in kick panel but in different block

mototebok

The noise filter can indeed cause it... if it's not grounded... as the coil esentially is then a short to ground.

The noise filter is located in front of the brake master cylinder, and behind the bracket for the cruise control. It should be grounded on part of the strut tower side, and has a single thick wire that connects to the harness.

boogiedown5150

I checked the fuses in the kick panel and in the fuse box next to the battery. All the fuses are good except the am2 of course. Do you have a picture of the noise filter. I was looking for it today and couldn't figure out what it looks like. Thanks for the help-Dave

boogiedown5150

Wow after much trouble shooting I figured it out. My volt meter is tapped into the black and orange wire in the ignition. Well that wire had a tear in it and was grounding out where it was routed into the gauge pillar. All because of that I couldn't start my car for a couple weeks. At least it wasn't an expensive fix. Thanks for all your help guys. I appreciate everything. -Dave

1990ST185

Good morning to all...
I am having similar problems with my 1990 ST185. Problem started while I was driving back from work on a nice warm Texas day. I was enjoying the curves of the road when all of a sudden I felt the car lose power and turn off... I felt how a pilots might feel when their plane stalls... I tapped the gauge cluster... NADA..., put the car in neutral, and let the car ride up the hill... While the car sputtered for its last moments of life... I felt like the car lost power due to low battery... Even though I was able to get up this slight hill with the car just coasting while it was off, I still had to roll up my sleeves and pushed it to the side of the road... As I was checking under the hood thinking that I might need a jump I came to the harsh realization that the ALT fuse was blown... I knew that no matter how many times I would get a jump the battery will not charge... Luckily my girlfriend has AAA and she came as well to pick me up... Funny thing while I waited for the flat bed I got 3 offers for the car... I told them if you can make it run right now it's yours... NO OFFERS :shrug:
After it got towed to my apartment complex I replaced the 100A ALT FUSE. Now the starter was cranking and sounding like this

http://youtu.be/cnebUjy6jug

The fuses that are being blown are
*IGN 7.5 AMP
*ECU IG 15 AMP
I also installed a new fuel pump thinking it might be the delivery of fuel to the car... same thing checked with a multimeter and saw now voltage going to the relay or pump... checked wired and they ok checked pump relay
I checked all, relays, and individually plugged / unplugged almost every component and nothing.
Before I tear down the steering column and take the ignition out. I would like to get the advice of some ST185 gurus here :notworthy: ...
Things checked and ok
-RELAYS
-FUEL PUMP
-WIRE LOOM CABLE INTEGRITY
-ECU
-ABS COMPONENTS