Do these f**kers ever run?

CelicaGT4

I'm so pissed off right now and regret ever buying this damn car and 3sgte motor! I'm about to throw up my hands and say f**k it!

Indy3sgte

Hey man chill...and watch the language :wink:

You just need to be patient...for instance Ive been trying to fix a fuel leak for 2 weeks...2 WEEKS!!

The only thing that keeps me goin is the end result :D

illGT4

They run.. But they have to be taken care of more too.

What is wrong with your car? Did you get that Turbo Pressure Sensor?

CelicaGT4

I bought the car for $300 and put over 45 hours into body work and spent countless nights doing wiring and engine work and it all boils down to a never ending project that will never start. I've done countless motor swaps and this one is certainly giving me a swift kick in the sack and spiting back in my face....I'm just waiting for this motor to call my mother a whore, then it's on!

illGT4

CelicaGT4":2zzo8vpk said:
I bought the car for $300 and put over 45 hours into body work and spent countless nights doing wiring and engine work and it all boils down to a never ending project that will never start. I've done countless motor swaps and this one is certainly giving me a swift kick in the sack and spiting back in my face....I'm just waiting for this motor to call my mother a whore, then it's on!

Good buy!

Did you check/set the timing?

Did you get a turbo pressure sensor?

It will run, you just have to be patient and fix it.

CelicaGT4

No turbo pressure sensor now, I talked to my 3sgte mr2 friend and said I didn't need it to start the car, I just can't punch it or turn up any boost until I get it because of fuel cut. I don't think thats the problem. Timing could be a very good possibility but it is real close to what it should be, which means it should still start with the timing off by just a hair or two. Timing belt is fine, but what I did find when I changed the spark plugs today was on one of the plug wires there was oil on the tip of it where it goes over the spark plug. Which means I might have a bad head gasket. It did fire 3 times today and almost turned over but not quite....had my heart pumping though. I will try to be patient, but this is VERY frustrating. I'm trying to get RedCelicaTRD (Wayne) up here and help me tell this 3sgte beast whats up!

illGT4

CelicaGT4":tj3lx2qw said:
No turbo pressure sensor now, I talked to my 3sgte mr2 friend and said I didn't need it to start the car, I just can't punch it or turn up any boost until I get it because of fuel cut. I don't think thats the problem. Timing could be a very good possibility but it is real close to what it should be, which means it should still start with the timing off by just a hair or two. Timing belt is fine, but what I did find when I changed the spark plugs today was on one of the plug wires there was oil on the tip of it where it goes over the spark plug. Which means I might have a bad head gasket. It did fire 3 times today and almost turned over but not quite....had my heart pumping though. I will try to be patient, but this is VERY frustrating. I'm trying to get RedCelicaTRD (Wayne) up here and help me tell this 3sgte beast whats up!

You need the Turbo Pressure Sensor.

Without the Vacuum line you won't have fuel cut; without the elec. connection you don't have a chance. You need this piece. Maybe you don't need it to start the car; I cannot recall.. but you need it none-the-less.

This car is not for the weak and impatient. It will own you if you cannot come to grips. This is Not a good car for someone to own if:

It's their only car
You don't have descent money
You cannot do some work yourself
It doesn't like you & you don't respect it

I'm not saying you are any of the above. I'm just making a statement.

CelicaGT4

thanks for the words. I started this project with a totalled car out of a junkyard that was trashed, pieces were taken off, no motor, every wire was cut basically, and it was automatic. I have done all the body work, motor swap, wiring, auto to manual conversion, and the paintjob will be done by me also. I will not let this project defeat me in any way! If I made it this far there is only one thing left to do.....turn the key and let that puppy roar down my driveway laying fresh rubber all over the roads and sidewalks of this town.

busdriver

I'd try and spend as little time on the sidewalks as possible. :lol:
Those damn pedestrians are a lawsuit waiting to happen.

celicanut

hey man definatly dont let it defeat you because i did the exact same thing that you are doing, two years ago, i bought a 91 st for 700 bucks totaled, auomatic, not running. i have done 2 motor swaps, first one toa 5sfe, auto to manual conversion, 4 wheel disc brake conversion froma 92 gt,second swap to a jdm 3sgte, and now im running 13.9 at 100 mph. so take it from me when you get it running you will be very happy. shit i couldnt get mine to start for a month all bec i didnt have the neg battery cable bolted in the right spot, so at least you have a legit reason for yours not to start, your missing parts, be patient take yoru time and definatly dont rush it. good luck

CelicaGT4

I also did an auto to manual conversion. Luckily for me, I already had disc brakes :D . Yeah, I'm still trouble shooting every day to see what it is. I have all the sensors, including the press. sensor. I think I should have it fixed and running here soon. I've already missed 2 paint job appointments in the last few weeks because of it.

silverarrow

You don't need the pressure sensor right now. Your car will still start up and boost fine, you just won't have protection on your motor as much. Anyhow I haven't really kept up with your issues and what you've checked so have you checked for fuel? spark? good ecu? Check your rewiring done from auto to manual to make sure it's left in neutral or something like that from what I've read on cars that swaps out the auto for manual. Check all your fuses as well. Battery low? Cables for battery isn't on tight?

speedlabracer

hey man it sucks ass but you have to be patient. I took my 90 st into a shop april 1st, to "professionals" who had done plenty of engine swaps before. I didnt get my car back till august 15th. I was pissed, yet i realized that most of the wait was for parts that could only be ordered from japan because of the jdm engine. right now it runs great for about 85% of the time, the rest of the time it has some problems, I think its the air/fuel ratio, I will probably go get it dyno tuned soon and this will hopefully help. Here is their email address if you have any questions they could hopefully help you service@automotive-advantage.com If worse comes to worse you could take you car to them because I noticed you're in boise and they're located in anacortes, wa so maybe you could have it towed there and they could finish it, but trouble shoot first. GOOD LUCK.

illGT4

Take your time and make sure everything is hooked up. Including the vac. lines. Is the FPR vacuum hooked up? What about the intake hoses and AFM?

Go over the entire engine bay again. This will take only a few minutes.

Make sure everything is plugged it.
Check fuel pressure.
Check for spark.
Check for blown fuses. Like the 7.5 amp IGN fuse.

Take pics of your engine bay..

illGT4

speedlabracer":21awqefr said:
I was pissed, yet i realized that most of the wait was for parts that could only be ordered from japan because of the jdm engine.

What generation JDM engine did you get? If it was a 3rd gen I could see needing to source parts from Japan.. But if 1st or 2nd gen, there is no need to look outside the US. The repsected engines are identical..

The 3rd gen we source parts from japan because it never came to the U.S.