Detonation/Colder plugs questions

busdriver

Just a couple quick questions; I will shortly be upping my boost to about 11 psi with an aussie dp and mp and an intercooler fan. Is this enough of an increase to warrant the use of the colder plugs? Will it be too much of an increase for the stock IC and cause detonation?

illGT4

The ECU has maps to 12psi. You'll need a fuel cut to go higher. Safe is a tough call.. Should be safe at 11 / 12 psi all day long. But every car is different.

What is your max. boost pressure now?

Have you installed the Aussie DP and Midpipe yet? If no, you may want to wait and see how much you go up from just freeing up the exhaust.

furpo

i am running 10psi standard appart from a straight air intake, cold air box and fuel cut diode mod. i should think with a free flowing exhaust with no cat the gt4 will do over 11psi so you may need to do the diode mod anyway. as for detonation you should not have a problem. less of an exhaust restriction should help to avoid detonation.

roger

busdriver

W/out the MBC the car topped out at 8psi, the MBC is already in right now (haven't driven it since I installed it), and everything is apart for the exhaust to go in also, I'm just waiting on the hose from hell and some oil cooler gaskets from Toyota. I should be able to get it back to stock boost by adjusting the MBC if necessary right?

zblu81

From what I understand, a MBC works by decreasing the vacuum signal for the wastegate to open so you can actually only increase boost with a MBC.

busdriver

Yes, but if the MBC is open all the way I think it would just act like a longer tube going from the turbo to the actuator.

So would using colder plugs for 11ish psi help anything or just make it harder to start?

Gary

Or you can just bypass the MBC.
Any way, even at 11 psi, I would play safe by using colder plugs.

alltracman78

zblu81":2qjdk3ku said:
From what I understand, a MBC works by decreasing the vacuum signal for the wastegate to open so you can actually only increase boost with a MBC.

Doesn't decrease it (unless you have a bleeder type bc=junk), only delays it. You can run stock boost with the mbc, but not below. Whatever boost you run, it will hit harder (spool up faster) with a bc, unless you have a new wg actuator.

illGT4

alltracman78":3mif754t said:
zblu81":3mif754t said:

Doesn't decrease it (unless you have a bleeder type bc=junk), only delays it. You can run stock boost with the mbc, but not below. Whatever boost you run, it will hit harder (spool up faster) with a bc, unless you have a new wg actuator.

Yeah, only as low as the w/g spring will allow.

I was able to adjust all the way down to 7psi. And all the way up until boom.