Bad to run in 'limp mode'?

tooch

My knock sensor is stuffed, and I have been driving the car in limp mode while I wait for the new one to arrive.
Is it bad to drive the car like this?

shoteh

yup my car is definetly in limp mode then...doesnt boost and when you press gas the car pulls stops then pulls then stop and rises slowly...what are some things I can do or check? some say its just losing air from various hoses but ive checked and it hasnt been that.. ive also reset the ecu but still happens...no check engine light on either so cant pull code... :shrug:

alltracman78

Does the cel come on when you start the car?

Doesn't mean your in limp mode. could just be running crappy.

Also, there is a "test mode" you can use. It isn't mentioned in my bgb for the 91, so I don't know if it doesn't have it, or just doesn't mention it.
Anyways, you jump TE2 and E1, the light will flash. Then drive around ( with the connectors still jumped) over 10 mph. This mode is more sensitive than the normal mode, and might give you something.

[/i]

tweekgt4

i drove around with a blown knock sensor before. i drove a 100 miles round trip to pick up a used KS. car drove like crap but you can get around slowly. you will have a check engine if you blew the sensor but you can always check for error codes to see what else is wrong.

shoteh

alltracman78":187v81e2 said:
Does the cel come on when you start the car? [/i]
the light works but as soon as I start the car its gone.(normal)

Doesn't mean your in limp mode. could just be running crappy.
???

Also, there is a "test mode" you can use. It isn't mentioned in my bgb for the 91, so I don't know if it doesn't have it, or just doesn't mention it.
Anyways, you jump TE2 and E1, the light will flash. Then drive around ( with the connectors still jumped) over 10 mph. This mode is more sensitive than the normal mode, and might give you something.
what would I do after I run it past 10mph? explain a little farther

[/b]

alltracman78

Just cause your engine is running crappy doesn't mean it's in limp mode. It could be (for example) bad plugs, wires, vacuum leak, ect.

Drive the car over 10mph, and it will do a diagnostic test. It should start flashing the code if their is one (the cel will be on as you're driving).