AC problem

I have heard of people having this problem before. When the AC kicks on the rpms drop from the normal 750rpm idle, down to about 600rpm or so. The car almost acts like it's going to die sometime.

What can I do to fix this?

Tried that already. It just started doing it out of nowhere. It was fine a few days ago. Then I noticed the car would struggle to idle at times with the AC on.

toayoztan

I thought normal idling rpms for a manual transmission was 950? I was always accustomed to 950 normal, and around 1100 or so for AC.

Bryan

3s_woob

yeah josh i'm having that problem too. that's why i only turn it on when i'm on the freeway!

I've tried adjusting that idle as well and it didn't work. it was idling fine but now it's the idle isn't jumping up right... I'll let you know what i come up with because I've been trying to fix that for awhile now.

billprice

Correct me if I am wrong (most of the time my g/f tells me), but isn't there a vacuum control mounted on the left side of the bay close to the firewall that raises the idle up when the A/C is turned on? I haven't seen my engine for so long it is hard to remember. Especially when it isn't present in my car anymore with the Autronic ECU.

bunny_goatse.gif

alltracman78

Yeah, you're right Bill. I must have been on crack or something(it was 6am). The ac idle up(where you adjust) is right by the egr. The valve(vsv) you're talking about is right near where the wiring harness goes through the firewall.
The ISC (what I was talking about) is right under the tb, and raises idle for cold/elec load. Doesn't deal with the ac( I don't think. I'll check tonite).