got cow bell rattle?

3s_woob

Well I had this rattle for a long time.... i couldn't figure it out at all. the noise would come on periodically and now has been very constant now a days. So I was listening and wondering where it's coming from and it only rattles when it's in motion. I rev it and sometime you hear a slight clink of the cow bell. I was thinking something from the tranny case bouncing around making that noise. I thought i had to get my mechanic to drop the motor again so we can figure out what's making that annoying noise. :cry: :cry: :cry:

so i let my mechanic friend take it for a spin and he came back to put it on the lift... lift it up and he got in and started running through the gears while turbochicken(he works there) and I were looking for the rattle. there wasn't a sound for about 15 secs and then the cow came home... and we found it.

it's the cover in between the drive shaft and transfer case. it protects the drive shaft going into the transfer case. see pics.

ftp://alltrac:club@ftp.alltrac.net/uplo ... rattle.jpg

here's a video of what it looks like and sounds like.

ftp://alltrac:club@ftp.alltrac.net/uplo ... CN0113.MOV

So if you ever have this cow bell rattle then this thread can save you some heartache.

What I did was cut it off because I was so sick of the rattle. but i'm going to replace it later. but if you do cut it off... it's more trickier then you think. that piece is like a cap, it also tucks in under the drive shaft.so if you're going to cut it just cut the outter layer off first then cut the inner.