How to check for rear LSD?

toayoztan

Okay, since this is all starting over, i figure we might as well start this for reference for the future "search" function ;)

How do we check for LSD in rear wheels? What type(s) of LSD options do our cars have?

Thanks!
Bryan

Gary

Your car should have Torsen type LSD in the rear.

Reardiff.jpg

toayoztan

wow, nice pic Gary! Gary, how can you be so sure..is it because i have a 93?

In any case, I was wondering if anyone could list all the available types of rear differentials for each year, and which ones were "upgrade option".

Also, with just jacking up the rear and turning the shafts/wheels, how could we tell if we have LSD or not?

Thanks again for the pic Gary!
Bryan

Gary

The pic is from one of alltrac.net members.
I don't remember who (may be Mario or GT4-R) :doh:

From what I've gathered, all ST185s have rear Torsen LSD.
However, I really doubt that since my (92) BGB has procedures for both Torsen LSD diff and open type diff.

toayoztan

Yeah, i dobut that too. I thought i remembered LSD being an upgrade option. I do know that a while back, etantshi wanted to buy my 92 LSD because he didn't have rear LSD.

So i'm assuming the only differentials for our cars is open and Torsen?

Does anyone have that link from the old board that talked about AWD differentials and LSDs, the types, etc? It was a really good informative article.

Thanks!
Bryan

I guess to go a little off subject, what other types of LSD are there?

InitialD93

I was told that my car has a rear clutch type LSD... but i only know what it does... not alot on the specifics of it.