Rods and pistons

maroon_185

Ok so next summer after I graduate I plan on tuning my car a bit to get the HP up. I was wonder who makes good light weight connecting rods and Pistons for a decent price? I also plan to go FMIC and switch to a ct20b. Any help appreciated with anything Thanx

toyotaluver

i also would like to know as well since im rebuilding in a few weeks, what else should i rebuild as well, gonna tackle the head too, any tips for a head rebuild, ss valves, retainers and what not thanks guys, also if i get camshafts what degree should i get, i want to keep it able to be street driven but still lots of power. thanks

maroon_185

Yeah i agree with him. I want the engine to be able to handle alot of power since I might do alot more to it later on in its life

OlyST185

jun rods and pistons are heavier than the Arias pistons and Eagle rods.
indeed the 2.2L stroker isnt te best way to go if you wanna keep revvin

Plex

Yeah, Toysport is a good company, but be wary of buying parts from them, they DO know their stuff, and I've never heard of anyone getting ripped off.. but generally they take a while to get the parts to you, or even get them shipped..

maroon_185

I'm not wants like high high horse power but just some better rods and pistons so the engine revs faster and so I don't have to worry about if later on I plan on pushing it past the stock internal limits.

Stubble

I got a set of Ross pistons and rings this year for $379, which I consider a great price for forged pistons. There's more info on pistons and rods on the MR2 board. Also, there's some good testimonials there for what the stock internals can take - I vaguely remember some 400+ whp numbers on stock blocks. I went for Ross because I needed to replace my pistons anyway.

The stock rods are beefy. I haven't seen Eagle rods in person, but in the pictures they look thinner. Although forgings are inherently stronger and more durable than castings, the stress levels are lower if you have a larger cross section. So, you definitely get a lighter setup with Eagle, but you may not get as much increase in strength as you'd think.

BraveUlysses

maroon_185":26vfksx8 said:
I'm not wants like high high horse power but just some better rods and pistons so the engine revs faster and so I don't have to worry about if later on I plan on pushing it past the stock internal limits.

If you want significantly faster revving, you might want to invest in a good solid head buildup because that will impact revving behavior more than upgraded aftermarket pistons.

maroon_185

Well I Plan on doing head work and everything else all I need is good set of rods that can take whatever I decide to throw at them later. So I was just wonder what is a good set of rods. and what MR2 board I asked my dad he said theres about 20 of them. thanx for all this info so far though

1BADGT4

OlyST185":2hi6wgng said:
jun rods and pistons are heavier than the Arias pistons and Eagle rods.
indeed the 2.2L stroker isnt te best way to go if you wanna keep revvin

I don't think the size of the engine doesn't matter much ... this the rod/ stroke ratio that I would be worried about, look at the m3. It sports a i6 w/ a redline of 8k! :lol:

maroon_185

Thats BMW though. it probably has wider bore with a shorter stroke. The more you increase stroke size the lower your red line. Make since. From what I have read on the MR2 site the Eagle rods with je or weisco pistons is a good setup and can handle High horesepower