88 ST165 failed smog miserably

I found an 88 alltrac that i am really interested in buying, but it failed smog miserably and i am concerned there could be other underlying issues. The owner says its running rich and thats why it failed. Even if i dont buy it, maybe it will help him figure out what is wrong. Below are the smog printouts if anyone has ideas of what might be wrong.

Owner says it has new timing belt and o2 sensors, but one of the printouts says timing is set at 19 instead of the stock 10. Says new cat too. Also, coolant is the neon green stuff instead of toyota red, how big of an issue is that?

Edit: looks like the forum is cutting off the right side of the photo. Co% max at idle is 1.00, measured at 3.83. At 2500rpm max is 1.00, measured at 5.69.

brutekiller787

Well its definitely running rich. Get a timing light and set the timing to 10 degrees with te1 and e1 bridged. It may help. Other than that, you could mess with the idle screw or main spring tension in the AFM, but that's not recommended.

Do the timing first. Maybe a can is a tooth off but check distributor first.

brutekiller787":2tei5hon said:
Well its definitely running rich. Get a timing light and set the timing to 10 degrees with te1 and e1 bridged. It may help. Other than that, you could mess with the idle screw or main spring tension in the AFM, but that's not recommended.

Do the timing first. Maybe a can is a tooth off but check distributor first.
Looks like the timing is now at 10, the first time he tried to smog it the timing was at 19. It has a new (used) airbox assembly so i dont know if the screws have already been tampered with or not.

Could it be a bad afm?

athousandleaves

Not sure if the 165 came with EGR or not but I know that can cause issues with passing emissions if the system gets stuck open/closed. Also double check the new O2 sensor and AFM with a meter vs the BGB to make sure they're still good. Maybe try a fuel system treatment to fix any possibly leaky injectors too :shrug:

It might be possible that he skipped a tooth when resetting the timing belt too so maybe inspect it?

Green coolant is bad, but wont have an effect on passing emissions, drain and flush then fill with Toyota Red ASAP.