Need some help, Electric Cooling Fan Question !!

fruci101

Hey!
I was recently having overheating issues with my ST185, and once the mechanic fixed a switch for the electric cooling fan it started blowing the wrong way ( away from the radiator and engine ). Before I had this overheating problem it was blowing the opposite way which was over the radiator and towards the engine (the correct way) , and now the mechanic is saying that my fan is only a one way fan and that it was installed backwards. Is this true with the stock cooling fans on the ST185 or are they indeed reversible if you switch the wires up?

r-town

A DC motor can spin CW or CCW by reversing the polarity. Unless your mechanic rewired on the pins on the fan, I don't think the fan can be physically mounted backwards.

underscore

Somehow the wiring for the main fan and the AC fan may have gotten messed up, since the AC fan sits on the other sides of things. (fan -> rads -> engine vs rad -> fan -> engine)

fruci101

Thanks for the help guys. Yes I am guessing they could have mixed up the wiring with the AC since the fan has been placed in front of the radiator now.

MWP

Fans are not reversible.
You just cant just move a fan from the engine side of the rad, to the bumper side of the rad, and reverse the power.
The fins on the fan are made specifically to blow in one direction, if you reverse it youll get something like only 25% of its original airflow.

You really should buy a new "blower" fan for it.

fruci101

MWP":1b9b3w2y said:
Fans are not reversible.
You just cant just move a fan from the engine side of the rad, to the bumper side of the rad, and reverse the power.
The fins on the fan are made specifically to blow in one direction, if you reverse it youll get something like only 25% of its original airflow.

You really should buy a new "blower" fan for it.

So temporarily speaking then, what would be better? Running the fan towards the engine at less capacity or away from the engine at full? It has been running towards the engine for some time like that without any problems, and the overheating issue first started from a different cause unrelated to the fan.