Brake caliper removal question

Rallly

Okay, probably a dumb question, I need to remove my rear calipers but don't want to empty the master cylinder, is it just a matter of keeping the brake line upright?

zaluss

Rallly":3p9bk1o6 said:
mkernz22":3p9bk1o6 said:
Clamp visegrips on the soft part of the line, it'll keep the fluid from leaking out.

They are Stainless steel:(

I had the same issue. If you tie the stainless brakeline upright, it shouldn't leak too much. I wouldn't leave it overnight though.

Rallly

I'm rebuilding rear calipers so it would be over a few nights. Do you think I would be fine if I lifted the rear only really high in the air?

zaluss":1ubnkdbd said:
Rallly":1ubnkdbd said:
mkernz22":1ubnkdbd said:
Clamp visegrips on the soft part of the line, it'll keep the fluid from leaking out.

They are Stainless steel:(

I had the same issue. If you tie the stainless brakeline upright, it shouldn't leak too much. I wouldn't leave it overnight though.

mkernz22

Only other thing I can think of would be to get a bolt that fits through the hole and get a nut on the other side, two regular washers and two crush washers on the inside, and tighten it down. Theoretically should create the same effect as if it was bolted down to the caliper.

yyonline

mkernz22":34ttzvtc said:
Only other thing I can think of would be to get a bolt that fits through the hole and get a nut on the other side, two regular washers and two crush washers on the inside, and tighten it down. Theoretically should create the same effect as if it was bolted down to the caliper.

I've done that before, but only for a few hours. It will slow the leak down a lot, but a small amount will still leak through the threads of the nut. If you could find a bolt and an enclosed cap nut with copper crush washers, that would seal it up completely. Either way, just top off the brake fluid reservoir and leave the cap on. I don't think the small amount of fluid leaking past the nut will be enough to empty the reservoir out.