ST185 windshield wiper motor

rustyspoon

Morning Everyone,

I picked up another celica.... got three of these things now... Does this make me a nut? Anyhow.

So I got a st185 for dirt cheap as its rusted pretty badly. I was rallycrossing it when the windshield wiper quit mid lap on me. Rain and racing with pylons does not end well for pylons by the way. So I have discovered that the motor assembly costs as much as the car does and is quite specific to the car. Does anyone know of a motor assembly that is close enough to give me back some wiper action? I have no issues drilling new mounting holes if that is what is required.

Is the motor itself repairable?

Thanks all. This is my first car of the 5th generation, I look forward to beating the living daylights out of it racing. Ice is next!

Old thread start, but thought I would offer a thought, if still needed.

That windshield wiper motor assembly may be unique to the 5th Gen Celica's, but all 5th Gen Celicas used the same wiper motor assembly (ST, GT, GT-S & All-Trac). So you are likely to find a working unit available in a salvage yard yet.

Also, the motors are repairable, depending upon the source of the problem. Brushes are replaceable, as are the springs pushing the brushed against the armature. Not from Toyota, but parts are available from small DC motor repair shops.

Are you sure your source wiring isn't the problem though? Could be a switch, fuse, wire open circuit, etc. Don't rule those items out unless you checked the wire harness connector at the wiper motor to ensure it is getting proper power when switched on.

underscore

I spent a bunch of time tearing things apart to try and get my wiper motor working again in my GTS, only to find that it was magically fixed by taking things apart and putting them back together again. If all the fuses and circuits test good up to the motor try cleaning the contacts on the connectors and see what happens.