Crank No Start Code 12

Aaron

Basically as the title says. Cranks strong and sounds like it's gonna start any second, but doesn't. I have the BGB so I'm going to get started on some of these diagnostics, but I need a little help.

For example, to check the starter circuit, it says to "Check wiring between ECU terminal STA and ignition switch terminal ST1." How do I do that, exactly? I know how to find the STA terminal on the ECU, but where is the ST1 terminal? Also, if someone could describe the procedure for checking real quick, I haven't done it in a while and forget how to do it. I have a multimeter and a test light.

It also says to "Check that there is voltage at starter terminal 50." Where is starter terminal 50?

And finally, how is it possible to check the distributor connector with test leads while it's in the car? The connector points down and it seems impossible to get the leads on correctly. Alligator clips?

Corey

Hey Aaron,

In case you don't have this one yet, here is BGB "How to troubleshoot with volt meter", but this info is also found in the FI section of the BGB

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxz0ev3liv4uj ... r.pdf?dl=0

It sounds like the starter is okay if its cranking the engine, BGB says Code 12 is a problem with the RPM signal.

Looking at the IG4 page of the 1990 ST185 BGB, I don't see any mention of ST1 or terminal 50 though....

Another way to test for spark from the distributor without a volt meter is described on IG10.

If you have spark, then test for fuel using the procedure on FI46

Aaron

Hi, thanks for the reply. After troubleshooting all the wires and confirming continuity, the problem ended up being a bent connector pin on the distributor housing. I could only tell after taking the distributor out. Bent it back and now it makes contact. Only now it won't idle, but I'll post a new thread about that.