Clutch change in ST185?

Zalek250

Hey all, my new Gt4 I just bought seems to have a slipping clutch. I heard from doing a bit of research that clutch jobs in these cars are literally insanely hard to do. Is there an easier method than taking the whole motor out to do a clutch?
My apologies if I'm in the wrong board, for most cars a clutch job would be general maintenance, for these cars from what I've read.... Not so much lol.

DanG

Zalek250":2xx9af1b said:
Hey all, my new Gt4 I just bought seems to have a slipping clutch. I heard from doing a bit of research that clutch jobs in these cars are literally insanely hard to do. Is there an easier method than taking the whole motor out to do a clutch?
My apologies if I'm in the wrong board, for most cars a clutch job would be general maintenance, for these cars from what I've read.... Not so much lol.

I’m currently trying to get mine out without pulling the motor. Some have said it can be done so I’m trying. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

underscore

It can be done, but it's not easy. From my understanding you need multiple jacks and multiple people to be able to do the rotating needed to get it back in.

GT4_DRED

Locker":2wway0ll said:
just pull the motor...
gives you a chance to do other maintenance as well.
X2.. Given that you just bought the car, you might as well take the opportunity to do the main seals, timing, water pump, etc.. Oh, and a few of the hard to reach hoses..

awdmofo

GT4_DRED":igdszsvy said:
Locker":igdszsvy said:
just pull the motor...
gives you a chance to do other maintenance as well.
X2.. Given that you just bought the car, you might as well take the opportunity to do the main seals, timing, water pump, etc.. Oh, and a few of the hard to reach hoses..

X3 I bought a 90 with a blown headgasket, yes I can get the head/turbo off to replace it but it took so long to do with the motor in, that I wished I just dropped the whole engine/trans and just started there. I was able to actually tear down two 3s-gte engines within 4-6 hours down to the bare block when it was out of the car :D. Have fun, I have to update my pictures since photobucket turned shady on everyone. I have pics and a lot of notes about what I did as I removed every part of the engine in my build page.

audiodjmp77

When my clutch got replaced, it took the garage about a day and a half and they said it was a pain of a job.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Zalek250

I've decided to pull the motor out, in the process I will be doing rear main seal, and downpipe. I'll let you guys know how it all goes. I ended up buying Clutchxperts stage 1 kit.

Zalek250

Update of sorts?
And a question.
When you guys pull the motor to do the clutch, do you leave the Tcase and Trans in the car? I'd imagine that would be the easiest way yes? Then I have my friend telling me that it will be easier to pull the motor, trans and transfer case all at once all still assembled.

DanG

Zalek250":20t5co5p said:
Update of sorts?
And a question.
When you guys pull the motor to do the clutch, do you leave the Tcase and Trans in the car? I'd imagine that would be the easiest way yes? Then I have my friend telling me that it will be easier to pull the motor, trans and transfer case all at once all still assembled.

Most people pull the whole thing as a unit. Best to have an engine leveller for your engine crane if you’re going to pull it out the top. Some folks drop it to the ground and lift the front of the car with the engine crane to get the engine out from underneath.

zaluss

Pull the motor. Much easier.

I prefer to slide it out from under the car.

qejKuJ5h.jpg

DanG

zaluss":1f808ao0 said:

qejKuJ5h.jpg

Just curious could you get the front of the car high enough with the jack and Jack stands or did you have to lift it with the crane?

zaluss

DanG":1ea2u4tc said:
zaluss":1ea2u4tc said:

Just curious could you get the front of the car high enough with the jack and Jack stands or did you have to lift it with the crane?

Used a crane.