Engine suddenly loss power.

wyomingtoy

Took a long driving trip last week on interstate - 150 miles each way. Traveling betwwen 70-80 mph. On return trip, about 30 miles from home the car suddenly loss power. I saw that the temp was pegged and the check engine light was on. I pulled to the side of the road and noticed white smoke coming from the hood scoop. Opening the hood I found that the smoke was coming from the rear of the engine. No fluid leaks, and oil looked clean. Engine would not restart after cooling, but would crank over. I’m guessing that the smoke could be from heat soaking the engine, as it did not smell like burnt oil or coolant. Wondering if this could have been from a fuel pump failure or fuel relay failure? No previous problems with engine, and no recent modifications. Original fuel pump with 210,000 miles. Thanks for any insights.

alltracman78

Sounds like a blown head gasket.
Your coolant is 100% full?

White smoke sounds like oil, which unless you have a bad leak is hard to see a level drop.
Coolant boiling can be whitish, but oil is much thicker smoke.

I would suggest you start with a compression test.
You can also pull the spark plugs and see if one is considerably cleaner than the rest.

What ended up being the problem here? Usually white smoke is water vapor, or coolant boiling. Blue smoke tends to be oil burning. The temp gauge being pegged is never, never a good observation. It's possible you lost all your coolant miles earlier from a blown hose or something, so when you finally stopped, there was no coolant left to see leaking.