confirm my trans fear......

lalojamesliz1

driving to work last night and I stopped at a light and my rpms dropped from 1k to 600 for a sec and i felt my car jerk a little while I was in neutral. that happened again at the next stop I had but I made it to work. that and putting it in gears, the shifter wasn't as loose and had lots of resistance. I worried if I was going to make it.
this morning on my way home i didn't really need to stop so i didn't notice to many issues besides the extra resistance and the usual hard to put in gear.
I pulled into my neighborhood and I usually coast in in 3rd gear to keep the noise down and I couldn't put it in ANY gear. I was fortunate enough to make it to in front of my next door neighbor house and after like 30 seconds of not trying to force it I was able to put it in first. I pulled into my driveway and while I was idling the rpms were dropping again and I opened my door and heard something lightly grinding under my car. I pressed the clutch in and it went away. I let go and it came back but when the car jerked a little and I heard like a louder grinding followed by a metal rattling and even more jerking :cry:

does it sound like my st185 trans is toast?
I am too worried to drive it anywhere now. I replaced the clutch with a exedy oem and a new oem throw out bearing about 5k miles ago and I haven't launched. damn man

Magroo

I would think if it was inside the transmission the noise would be dampened a lot more and you wouldn't be able to get into any gear.

Most likely scenario is the throwout bearing. But really the only way to know is to take the transmission off and take a look at it.

Like I said before I'm having very very similar problem that you were having and I still feel like it's a bad throwout bearing.

lalojamesliz1

Magroo":1bbcdqt1 said:
I would think if it was inside the transmission the noise would be dampened a lot more and you wouldn't be able to get into any gear.

Most likely scenario is the throwout bearing. But really the only way to know is to take the transmission off and take a look at it.

Like I said before I'm having very very similar problem that you were having and I still feel like it's a bad throwout bearing.

hopefully it is just that. it just sucks on the amount of work required to change that stupid bearing. since I thought my celica was all good now I began to work on my 69 mustang again and its taking up my garage now so yeah.... :shoots:
I'm currently working on the interior but after that I'll work on the engine and I'll be able to make space for my mustang and celica then. for now, she's a outside pet :)

underscore

Check the clutch master and slave are operating correctly, the sound going away with the pedal in sounds like a classic throwout bearing failure but it's hard to say for sure without being there in person.

lalojamesliz1

underscore":2xikv5rw said:
Check the clutch master and slave are operating correctly, the sound going away with the pedal in sounds like a classic throwout bearing failure but it's hard to say for sure without being there in person.

I've never had a car with transmission problems so this is new to me but you guys sound almost certain that it's the throw out bearing with the info I've given. I'll see if I can make a video soon but I think you guys might be correct.
I was thinking it was the clutch master cylinder since itll grind when I put it in 3rd sometimes and even 2nd once in a great while but with the idling issues it sounds like what you guys are thinking.
I'd still love to swap to a st205 trans but I just cant find one and the only gen3 swaps on fleabay are too expensive.
I installed a oem throw out bearing I bought from a online Toyota seller. I don't know where I'd buy the next one since it was supposed to be oem quality and it failed so fast if it is that.
I don't have the time or space to work on this problem now because I'm working on another car and I have a important test coming up that I should be studying for instead of working on my other car but yeah :D
I appreciate the help guys

underscore

Personally I'd try bleeding the clutch line first, then replacing the master and slave if that doesn't fix it, since those are fairly cheap and quick things to do compared to the throwout bearing. I'd also do some searching on here for what clutches people have needed to use the Speed Source extended slave rod with, perhaps now that the clutch you installed is broken in a bit it needs the extended travel. If you can get someone to help you maybe have them push the pedal to the floor and see if you can pry the bearing fork (I think that's the name, the piece that goes between the slave and throwout bearing) any further.

I can't guarantee any of those will fix it, I'm just tossing out possibilities that are easier to try than pulling the trans to get to the bearing since we all know what a PITA that is. Those are all things I looked into before doing the clutch on my GTS when it was doing something similar, in that case the bearing was shot and the clutch springs had broken.

As for replacement parts you may have just been unlucky and gotten a defective part. I've had that happen a few times which is always annoying but especially so when it's something hard to get to.