Red Line 75W90NS or....

lalojamesliz1

I put Red Line 75W90NS in the original trans for my st185 when it had like 152 or 153k miles. It developed a crunch while shifting into 4th above 35mph or downshifting into 4th from 5th. Strangely that problem came, left then came back. Now my all-trac is parked waiting for my st205 swap to arrive.
Can you guys reccomend something that will provide better protection for my e154f trans?

I don't know what your ST205 swap calls for proper trans oil. The original ST185, when I studied this closely regarding the proper oil for that particular quadruple case, I could only find two that I would have been comfortable using, and I opted for the first one listed below of these two:

- Toyota Gear Lube Super GL-5 75W-90
- Castrol Multitrax (I believe Castrol discontinued this product in early 2017, replacing it with Cartrol Universal, which I did not research back in 2016 when Multitrax was readily available - I don't believe Castrol Universal is sold in the US though)

These are the only two that singled out the Celica GT4/All-Trac 4WD on their labels about working with.

I also considered the specific RedLine oil you used on yours, but when I contacted the manufacturer about the application, all I got was "it should work" from the applications person I spoke to (and it doesn't call out this particular application on the label anywhere), so I opted against considering it.

sefiroxx

Plenty of posts on gl/4 vs 5 and impact on synchro. At issue is the sulfur/phosphorous additive that was added to improve things eats the older syncros.

I run redline mt-90 without any problems. Any good performance shop should stock. Can get online as well.

lalojamesliz1

sefiroxx":1m94oxwk said:
Plenty of posts on gl/4 vs 5 and impact on synchro. At issue is the sulfur/phosphorous additive that was added to improve things eats the older syncros.

I run redline mt-90 without any problems. Any good performance shop should stock. Can get online as well.

Thanks for sharing that, I think I'll try that. I remember getting some of the mt90 for a older 5 speed Toyota pickup because it was supposed to be really good.

MWP

MT-90 isnt GL5 rated, and wont protect the hypoid gear in the transfer case properly.

This topic has come up 1000 times in this forum.
Redline 75W90NS is the one the majority of people (including me) recommend.

If your gbox has problems while running 75W90NS your gearbox needs a rebuild. No oil is going to fix it for you.

lalojamesliz1

MWP":35s7e2c8 said:
MT-90 isnt GL5 rated, and wont protect the hypoid gear in the transfer case properly.

This topic has come up 1000 times in this forum.
Redline 75W90NS is the one the majority of people (including me) recommend.

If your gbox has problems while running 75W90NS your gearbox needs a rebuild. No oil is going to fix it for you.

Whew, that was close. I was about to order some. :D
That trans was abused I'm sure. 155k miles is good for what probably its been through

sefiroxx

Oops, my bad, was focused on the crunching and got my solutions for gt vs alltrac mixed up. (My 4x4 trucks have separate cases for tranny vs transfer)

Yes, mt-90 is NOT to be used for hypoid gears.

Good catch