Door Handle Help?

fvkagi

I bought a ST185 project and the PO broke off the door handle... is there anyway to just throw in a new door handle without replacing the entire door? It also will not open from the inside haha. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190512_120647.jpg
    20190512_120647.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 1,570

underscore

The handle can definitely be swapped, some not very good thieves tried to steal my car by smashing out the handle. While you've got it apart replace the little plastic clips that go on the ends of the metal rods, they like to break.

And any 5th Gen Celica door handle will work on an ST185. You may want to save your keyed tumbler for the new door handle as you will want to use the same key on that door as the rest of the car (I suspect that is important to you). If they are not available from Toyota, they should be readily available from a local salvage yard.

fvkagi

I did not get the tumbler for that handle, is there anyway a locksmith or something could help me out? If not I guess I will just have to trust the electronic lock... also thanks for the replies!

fvkagi":2tvdh9vu said:
I did not get the tumbler for that handle, is there anyway a locksmith or something could help me out? If not I guess I will just have to trust the electronic lock... also thanks for the replies!
Old thread, but can you take a picture and post it of the door handle looking from the outside toward the door handle? I have a hard time understanding how you don’t have a tumbler (door lock) in you door handle). Do you have the original 4-digit key code that was provided to the original owner when the car was first sold? If not, a Toyota dealer should be able to take your ignition key and determine that 4-digit code. Then take any tumbler from a 5th Gen Celica to a locksmith and ask them to reset the tumblers to match your 4-digit code. Then use your ignition key to verify it works properly. Then install the new tumbler.

fvkagi

93celicaconv":1a39zul3 said:
fvkagi":1a39zul3 said:
Old thread, but can you take a picture and post it of the door handle looking from the outside toward the door handle? I have a hard time understanding how you don’t have a tumbler (door lock) in you door handle). Do you have the original 4-digit key code that was provided to the original owner when the car was first sold? If not, a Toyota dealer should be able to take your ignition key and determine that 4-digit code. Then take any tumbler from a 5th Gen Celica to a locksmith and ask them to reset the tumblers to match your 4-digit code. Then use your ignition key to verify it works properly. Then install the new tumbler.

Yeah I am not exactly sure what happened to this door handle haha
Thank you for the reply though, I definitely do not have the 4-digit code so I guess I will be making a trip to the local Toyota dealership!

Attachments

• 1HANDLE PIC.jpg
    1HANDLE PIC.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 1,477
Do you have a replacement exterior door handle / lock tumbler / any inner links or mechanisms to to restore original functionality?

Now that I see your last pic, you may be better off with a whole replacement (salvage) door. There is a black 5th Gen in a salvage yard near me (I think), but not sure if it a GT or above (which you want) vs. an ST (which you don’t). If you can get the original 4-digit key code from your dealer and can find a local locksmith who knows what to do wi it, that locksmith could redo the tumbler from a replacement door and all you need to do is swap doors and reconnect your wiring harness and you’ll be good to go.

fvkagi

93celicaconv":ye9i2iox said:
Do you have a replacement exterior door handle / lock tumbler / any inner links or mechanisms to to restore original functionality?

Yeah I have an entire replacement door, but I am going to try and just use the handle and whatever internal parts I need because the other door is red and my car is black.

fvkagi

93celicaconv":2ujaeury said:
Painting your red door black may be a better option for you. Those internal links all look shot to me.

Oh, I will probably just do that then, it is probably easier too. The whole car needs to be painted eventually anyways so Ill just roll with a red/ spray painted door for a bit haha
Thanks for the help again!