Does the shifter have replacement bushings?

lalojamesliz1

I swear it feels like my shifter is off a little. It felt notchy going into 2nd with my e150f and it feels the same with my e154f. Could it be the bushings on the shifter cables? I remember seeing upgraded bearing replacements for like $50

underscore

There's a few different options, either poly or metal or spherical bushings. I've got brass inserts and it feels great.

lalojamesliz1

I've seen those and am considering getting some also but I'm curious about the actual shifter itself though. I just don't understand why it feels notchy almost always when I shift into 2nd. With my original and now e154f also. I really hope it's just the cable bushings.
I have a short shifter but I don't know any information about it because I got my all-trac with it installed

lalojamesliz1

I read some people mentioned they have used rollerblade/skateboard bearings on the shifter cables.... does that actually work like the spherical bearings two'srus sells?

underscore

I would think those will only move in two dimensions vs three, but it'd be smoother than a brass ones if you can find the right size.

alltrac801

I had the same issue before my shift cable snapped but it got to the point where it was almost impossible to get it into 2nd. now I have new used cables and brass bushings installed and it shifts great... (for now) lol

sefiroxx

When the cable starts to go, individual wires in the bundle will snap one at a time. One of these could get bound up during the push stroke of the shifter (2nd or 4th)

lalojamesliz1

alltrac801":19n8sseu said:
I had the same issue before my shift cable snapped but it got to the point where it was almost impossible to get it into 2nd. now I have new used cables and brass bushings installed and it shifts great... (for now) lol

Oh shiet! I hope my cables are ok. Did your cable let go on one end or inside the housing? I need to inspect my cables now

sefiroxx

Mine got steadily worse with more and more strands breaking. Enough went that remaining strands of wires just bent into a coil inside the housing during the push stroke.

lalojamesliz1

I just ordered the brass bushings. I'll look into my cables still. I wish I would have thought about them when I recently had my engine out for my trans swap a week ago. Oh well.
I was looking at the cut shifter cables that came with my gen3 swap and now I see to inspect them I'll have to cut the aluminum strap that secures the rubber boots on the cable ends to see them. I hope I can push/pull the cable ends enough to see the cables

Andy

Do not overlook the Sugar Cube...
It is down where the cables connect to the transmission linkage.
They get dirty, and stiff, and drive you nuts. Remove and clean and if worn it can be rotated 180...

alltrac801

lalojamesliz1":1o20xmp0 said:
Oh shiet! I hope my cables are ok. Did your cable let go on one end or inside the housing? I need to inspect my cables now

So my cable on the bottom of the shift assembly with the "cup" is the cable that snapped completely when I forced the car into 2nd. It snapped right where the actual cable attached to the metal end of the cable assembly... I don't know if any of that makes sense but that's the best I can describe it lol.

I also rotated my "sugar cube" before my cable broke and it didn't help at all but my issue was the actual cable so rotating the "sugar cube" is a good start.

you can also order a new cube and install that when you do your brass bearings.

lalojamesliz1

The st205 transmission I installed has a hard type of plastic sugar cube. It's like new still. I understand what you mean about how it snapped.

That "cup" is what I've been wanting to know. So it does have one???? I'll have to disassemble my shifter and inspect. Thank you

alltrac801

yes I can snap a picture when I get home tonight and show you how the old cable broke. I can just email the picture to you because im to stupid to know how to put a picture on here lol

lalojamesliz1

alltrac801":25wayo3i said:
yes I can snap a picture when I get home tonight and show you how the old cable broke. I can just email the picture to you because im to stupid to know how to put a picture on here lol

Yeah that would be great.
To post a picture you click on the post reply button then under the box to type in click on the upload attachment then you search you phone or computer for the pictures. They need to be under 1mb size. I always use my phone (android) on these forums and to get pictures to a acceptable file size I use a app called "reduce photo size" then upload the reduced pictures.
You'll learn eventually man. I learned by being on these forums for the last 9 years.....
I can also just send you my email address if you prefer.

alltrac801

Sorry I totally spaced taking that picture last night but I will do it tonight and I downloaded that app so I will try to get that picture on here tonight for you.

lalojamesliz1

alltrac801":14nzqau4 said:
Sorry I totally spaced taking that picture last night but I will do it tonight and I downloaded that app so I will try to get that picture on here tonight for you.
No worries man. Take your time.

alltrac801

Okay so I think I got this picture stuff figured out!

This is the end of my cable that broke.

Attachments

• rps20190529_192445.jpg
    rps20190529_192445.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 3,712
  • rps20190529_192537.jpg
    rps20190529_192537.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 3,712

lalojamesliz1

Thanks for posting these. So the cable end was pulled out after a few strands broke huh. I was talking with a couple of my welder friends about tig welding the ends and one recommend brazing with copper rods and flux to keep the cables in before they break.
Does that sound like a bad idea?
The transmission end of the cables are magnetic so not aluminum. Not sure yet on the ends that broke on you.

alltrac801

No problem. It kept getting harder and harder to get the car into 2nd so one day I forced it into second and that was the last straw lol I dont know if welding it would be a bad idea or not. I know there is a set of ST185 cables used on EBAY right now for just over $200 if you do end up needing a set.