Distributor gasket leak

sefiroxx

5th gen

Been dealing with a leak from the distributor mounting gasket (oring) off and on for a decade. The head has been redone with sealant around the cap - so I'm confident it's not leaking there. No oil in the distributor cap, so it's not the internal distributor seal. Currently using an oring from a rebuild kit, but I have tried one from the oem Prior to the head redo. Figured it's time to find a more permanent solution.

Options
1) maybe it just failed in the Texas heat, and a new oem will work
2) anyone have the oem spec for the oring (ID, OD, cross section, material). Maybe a slightly larger one will work.
3) double up in some way? If I remember, (I can't find it now), there was a discussion elsewhere about adding a second, much thinner cross section, somewhere additionally.

Magroo

It might not be the oring thats leaking. There is a seal indide the distributor like a cam or crank seal that will start to leak over time.

It can be replaced, but it isnt easy. I broke the aluminum part of a distributor trying to get the pin out that holds the shaft to the engagement point to the cams. Thankfully I had a spare. There is a weep hole in the bottom of the dizzy. Check there for oil coming out.

FC Zach

With measurements you should be able to find a replacement in a quad/x-ring seal design. . which I'm sure seals better that OE. Here's a link from a quick search, there may be better sources. . https://catalog.precisionassoc.com/viewitems/precision-associates-inc-x-ring/x-rings

X-Ring%20Pile%201%20White%20BG%20Small.png