HELP! car wont start

So earlier this summer when I was driving I would periodicly have the check engine light appear when driving but it would only last for a second before going away. It would also appear when starting the car but would go away as the car warmed up. I eventually suspected a missfire and changed the plugs but that did not make a difference. I have newish NGK leads so I then suspected the distributor to be the problem. I swapped out the rotor and cap only to find that the car wouldent start. Im receiving power to the center lead and I can smell the gas comming out the tail pipe but the car wont start. I checked to see if im getting power to the leads and I am not. I have tried two other rotors and the original cap but the only thing I have yet to try is the original cap and rotor. Am I doing something wrong?

update. I had installed a Blitz ecu as well and it turns out that that was the problem. The car fired right up on the stock ecu. What could be wrong with the blitz ecu that would cause the motor to not fire?

FC Zach

How old is the Blitz ECU? Possibly capacitors? I was going to recommend checking you ECU after reading your first post, for that reason. . . these cars do odd things when the caps deteriorate (the random CEL being one of them), I've personally dealt with this twice on my car with both the original and later the replacement ECU. I have since repaired both and have had no other issues.

Other than checking that, I have no other idea what it could possibly be. Hope that helps

FC Zach

underscore":3eqdo4vg said:
Check the capacitors inside the ECU, they may have dried out or leaked and damaged the PCB.

Ha Ha, what he said. . We must have opened this thread up at the same time :rofl:

The guy I bought it off of told me that he had replaced the caps in the ecu a year or two ago. Im trying to get in contact with him but nothing back so far. Would it be possible that the blitz ecu has a different pin out or something? it was originally in a mr2.

underscore

If you open it up you should be able to see the pinout printed on the board, assuming it's a Toyota ECU modified by Blitz. Also as a side note, even if the CEL goes away the code is still stored so you can retrieve it for troubleshooting.

@Zach great minds think alike apparently haha.

underscore":2wmkl0uz said:
If you open it up you should be able to see the pinout printed on the board, assuming it's a Toyota ECU modified by Blitz.

Based on what I was told by the guy I bought it off of and the markings on the caseing it is a stock ecu modified my blitz. It shouldent matter if it came out of a mr2 though as the ecu would be the same as long as its a 3s no? Did the ecu pinout change in the late model mr2s?

underscore

There are multiple pinouts just for ST185s. Between the different gens of engines, different chassis', different gens of chassis', different countries of origin, etc there's probably a dozen different pinouts for 3SGTE ECUs. Is there still a Toyota part number on the case? What engine is in your car and where is it from?

underscore":14ukejbc said:
There are multiple pinouts just for ST185s. Between the different gens of engines, different chassis', different gens of chassis', different countries of origin, etc there's probably a dozen different pinouts for 3SGTE ECUs. Is there still a Toyota part number on the case? What engine is in your car and where is it from?

Its been really cold lately and I have not been able to get the ecu out as it is stored buy I might try sometime soon. Its a Canadian 1992 alltrac. Is there a specific way to check the specific motor?. Also I have a HKS VPC and GCC unit due to the fact that it piggy backs off the ecu will I have to modify the harness that was given to me to make it work with my existing engine harness as the guy I bought it off of took it out of a MR2 along with the Blitz ecu.