front ABS sensor replacement?

EvilStig

Has anyone found an ABS sensor replacement that is compatible with the ST185?

Also, who in the hell designed this car? :cry:

You should do a search in this forum, but I think there is a Camry ABS sensor that is a "very close" to match to the ST185, it requires a small bit of tweaking to make work, but I believe most have been successful with the tweak.

What corner do you have a need foe an ABS sensor?

EvilStig

93celicaconv":1q1xs2mk said:
You should do a search in this forum, but I think there is a Camry ABS sensor that is a "very close" to match to the ST185, it requires a small bit of tweaking to make work, but I believe most have been successful with the tweak.

What corner do you have a need foe an ABS sensor?

passenger front so far... no idea yet if I'll be successful in getting the other hubs off without breaking them.

I did search the forums but couldn't find specific part numbers. :(

EvilStig":29a9tylu said:
passenger front so far... no idea yet if I'll be successful in getting the other hubs off without breaking them.

I did search the forums but couldn't find specific part numbers. :(
Below is what I have for ABS Sensor P/N's for the ST185. Unfortunately, the front RH & LH are not labeled as the rear RH & LH are. Based on Toyota logic, I would say the top P/N listed is the front RH, and the one below is the front LH, but that is only a guess on my part. The parts were also used on ST185's in Europe & Japan, so those locations may still have some. Japan also used these parts on their Carina cars, so you may have better luck from a source in Japan for a direct replacement.

89542-20020 (09/1989 - 07/1991)
89543-20020 (09/1989 - 07/1991)
89545-20060 REAR-RH
89546-20060 REAR-LH

silverarrow

Try hitting up your local engine importers, sometimes they have front clips laying around and they might part with the abs sensor for a price.

EvilStig

93celicaconv":205w4zdq said:
89542-20020 (09/1989 - 07/1991)
89543-20020 (09/1989 - 07/1991)
89545-20060 REAR-RH
89546-20060 REAR-LH

After cutting off the remainder of the part I am able to confirm it is Part number 89542-20020 for the right (passenger) side.

on a hunch I snagged a cheap aftermarket replacement for part # 89542-07030 (2005-2012 Avalon and 2007-2011 Camry) on amazon Here. The barrel size and depth of the sensor is identical, as is the steering knuckle mounting bracket. However the Avalon sensor has a slightly raised collar near the base, so you need to use a 3/4" reamer or stepper bit to widen just the outer edge of the port to fit it in all the way.

The attached cable and routing is different but I don't care as I intend to splice the sensor on to my existing wire.

Won't know if it'll work until it's all back together but I have a good feeling the problem is solved for under $30 which has to be about the least painful fix yet for this car....

grip-addict

Did it work ? Asking for a friend.

... who just so happens to look a lot like me and also found a way to break the abs sensor tonight :/

EvilStig

grip-addict":2hdorqb8 said:
Did it work ? Asking for a friend.

... who just so happens to look a lot like me and also found a way to break the abs sensor tonight :/

Yep, worked like a charm. Good luck!

Menoxz

After cutting off the remainder of the part I am able to confirm it is Part number 89542-20020 for the right (passenger) side.

on a hunch I snagged a cheap aftermarket replacement for part # 89542-07030 (2005-2012 Avalon and 2007-2011 Camry) on amazon Here. The barrel size and depth of the sensor is identical, as is the steering knuckle mounting bracket. However the Avalon sensor has a slightly raised collar near the base, so you need to use a 3/4" reamer or stepper bit to widen just the outer edge of the port to fit it in all the way.

The attached cable and routing is different but I don't care as I intend to splice the sensor on to my existing wire.

Won't know if it'll work until it's all back together but I have a good feeling the problem is solved for under $30 which has to be about the least painful fix yet for this car....
Would it work for rear sensor? Also I can't seem to find the camry post anymore