Please help me rid of this notchy shifting

From Tune Ups to Oil Changes, maintenance related

Moderator: toayoztan

Re: Please help me rid of this notchy shifting

Postby lalojamesliz1 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:45 am

Great info! I'll try that soon and report back.
Thank you :D
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
91 Celica all-trac gen3 swap (small-med $$$ sponge)
69 mustang 408w (large $$$ sponge)
08 sequoia 5.7L
14 avalon
02 taco dbl cab V6 turd
and a 2 car garage :shoots:
lalojamesliz1
Club Member

Postby alltrac801 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:10 pm

93celicaconv wrote:I would say this rules out shift cables as a source of the symptoms.

I have to disagree. My car shifted just fine while not driving with bad cables. When driving 2nd was hard to shift into and 4th was a little tough too.
1991 Toyota Celica All-Trac (239,000 miles)
alltrac801
Club Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby lalojamesliz1 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:44 pm

alltrac801 wrote:
93celicaconv wrote:I would say this rules out shift cables as a source of the symptoms.

I have to disagree. My car shifted just fine while not driving with bad cables. When driving 2nd was hard to shift into and 4th was a little tough too.

Did you get the cables from mr2heaven?
If you did, did they fix the shifting problem you had for 2nd and 4th? (iirc)
08 sequoia 5.7L
14 avalon
02 taco dbl cab V6 turd
lalojamesliz1
Club Member

Postby alltrac801 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:30 pm

So when I originally got cables I ordered a used pair from EBAY for way to much money but i really wanted my car back on the road. If i remember correctly they were from a GTS so i had to modify the mounting a little. I havent tried the MR2Heaven ones yet but they look great. And yes the used cables solved my problem 100 percent.

I have no idea if thats the problem you are having but i just want to share my experience to possibly help.
1991 Toyota Celica All-Trac (239,000 miles)
alltrac801
Club Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby lalojamesliz1 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:50 pm

alltrac801 wrote:So when I originally got cables I ordered a used pair from EBAY for way to much money but i really wanted my car back on the road. If i remember correctly they were from a GTS so i had to modify the mounting a little. I havent tried the MR2Heaven ones yet but they look great. And yes the used cables solved my problem 100 percent.

I have no idea if thats the problem you are having but i just want to share my experience to possibly help.

Damn now I want to buy a new set :|
I was just getting over on the cost of the set of new esco jack stands I just bought. Can't put a price on safety lol
I better buy them before I damage my trans even more I guess :bangshead:
08 sequoia 5.7L
14 avalon
02 taco dbl cab V6 turd
lalojamesliz1
Club Member

Postby Magroo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:17 pm

Just want to say inhave a very similar problem but mine is it won't go in to first at a dead stop unless I put it in second first.

Its probably worn syncros but I have a set pf used ebay cables in excellent condition I need to swap in when the weather gets a little warmer.

Another possibility I was thinking is the clutch fork pivot ball. I know they get worn and change clutch engagement. I havent checked mine yet.
Magroo
Club Member

Postby lalojamesliz1 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:09 am

Magroo wrote:Just want to say inhave a very similar problem but mine is it won't go in to first at a dead stop unless I put it in second first.

Its probably worn syncros but I have a set pf used ebay cables in excellent condition I need to swap in when the weather gets a little warmer.

Another possibility I was thinking is the clutch fork pivot ball. I know they get worn and change clutch engagement. I havent checked mine yet.

If the cables haven't failed, can someone tell they are beginning to fail by looking at them? I didn't mind taking a chance on a new master cylinder for $40 but $204 for cables is hard to do not knowing if it will fix my problem :(
The pivot ball on my trans looked fine on my e154f trans before I installed that trans.
08 sequoia 5.7L
14 avalon
02 taco dbl cab V6 turd
lalojamesliz1
Club Member

Postby lalojamesliz1 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:13 am

Does anyone know someone who has successfully rebuilt one of these transmissions? Can the parts still be purchased? I remember seeing a parts list that showed the part numbers for each transmission but I didn't know what parts exactly are needed and one of everything was $$$ :D
08 sequoia 5.7L
14 avalon
02 taco dbl cab V6 turd
lalojamesliz1
Club Member

Postby 93celicaconv » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:29 pm

So have you discontinued your diagnostic progression to try to find out your root cause problem?

There are seal/gasket kits available for engines and transaxle assemblies for these vintage vehicles (at least there were, not sure if they are available). But when it comes to transaxle rebuilds, the items worn can only be ID'd during disassembly. If you are asking if you went on the assumption something internally is wrong in the transmission, and you took it out and started tearing it apart and found worn stuff, would the stuff that is worn be available anymore, I agree, it would be good to know.

I don't think you've concluded your root cause yet. I think your cables are fine, based upon the test you did (others appear to have differing opinions on that - you have to decide who you think is best to guide you). Your hydraulics and your clutch setup hasn't been worked through yet. You may have put a new clutch master cylinder in, but you have a clutch slave cylinder, air in fluid lines, adjustments in clutch linkages, etc. I would work through those first. If your clutch isn't properly disengaging from your flywheel when the engine is running, that would cause very similar symptoms you are experiencing. But from what I've read in this thread so far, you haven't done the testing to determine if that could be a probable cause, yet.
93celicaconv
Club Member

Postby lalojamesliz1 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:00 pm

93celicaconv wrote:So have you discontinued your diagnostic progression to try to find out your root cause problem?

There are seal/gasket kits available for engines and transaxle assemblies for these vintage vehicles (at least there were, not sure if they are available). But when it comes to transaxle rebuilds, the items worn can only be ID'd during disassembly. If you are asking if you went on the assumption something internally is wrong in the transmission, and you took it out and started tearing it apart and found worn stuff, would the stuff that is worn be available anymore, I agree, it would be good to know.

I don't think you've concluded your root cause yet. I think your cables are fine, based upon the test you did (others appear to have differing opinions on that - you have to decide who you think is best to guide you). Your hydraulics and your clutch setup hasn't been worked through yet. You may have put a new clutch master cylinder in, but you have a clutch slave cylinder, air in fluid lines, adjustments in clutch linkages, etc. I would work through those first. If your clutch isn't properly disengaging from your flywheel when the engine is running, that would cause very similar symptoms you are experiencing. But from what I've read in this thread so far, you haven't done the testing to determine if that could be a probable cause, yet.

I haven't given up, I was just busy with valentine's day yesterday.
I was able to try shifting into gears and back out quickly last night before I left to work and I didn't have any issues. I need to try it again when I get up later today so I can focus on that better.
I replaced the slave cylinder not long ago a d probably 1k miles ago or close to that. Air being in the line is something I doubt because I bled the line a lot until I was absolutely sure no more air was in the line.
I need to experiment with the linkage more I guess.
08 sequoia 5.7L
14 avalon
02 taco dbl cab V6 turd
lalojamesliz1
Club Member

Postby lalojamesliz1 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:02 am

Let's now look at the clutch system (clutch pedal through the throughout bearing). If there is a problem with the clutch system, it should be noticeable when the car is parked but engine running this time. Since we determined the shift cables/linkages are working properly, but we don't want to load the synchros right now, trying to shift gears when using the clutch with the engine running is the way to do just that.

Engine running, shifter not in gear, clutch released, the clutch should be spinning and the input shaft to the trans freewheeling. Step on the clutch and shift quickly into 1st - any issue? Shift back to neutral, release clutch. Then step on the clutch and shift quickly into 2nd - any issue? Repeat for all forward gears and also repeat for reverse. Don't let the car move in gear with the engine running. How does the shifting into gear feel now? Any particular gear causing more problems than another?

Actually, to add to this, if you have some grinding when trying to shift into reverse, that is a clear indication the clutch is not releasing the flywheel properly. That gets us to review the clutch system. And if this is the symptom, and its been like this for anything longer than a very short period of time, most likely many of your synchros are worn and damaged, because the synchros are doing more that trying to match speeds of moving gears in the trans of which one set should be free-wheeling - if that one set is still being driven by the engine, the synchros needs to work much, much harder and wear much, much faster.

I finally did this and paid much more attention and I'm happy to say I had no trouble shifting fast and releasing then going to each forward and even the reverse gear like you said to do.
It was a little harder to put into 1st after coming out of reverse (just a little) but no grinding
I noticed when I'm driving, if I upshift into 2nd slowly nothing happens. If i shift like I usually always do into all of the gears then I get the notchy/very slight grind shift.
I haven't looked into the trans yet
08 sequoia 5.7L
14 avalon
02 taco dbl cab V6 turd
lalojamesliz1
Club Member

Previous

Return to General Maintenance and Repair