EMU ECU To 3STGE Distributor Trigger Problems

freddie

I have a ST205 3SGTE engine and are using the distributor 3 triggers for a EMU ECUmaster Classic ECU.

I am not using the distributor for sparkplug spark, all that has been deleted, just the triggers for crankshaft and
camshaft reference, Primary Trigger, Camsync. No1 and Camshaft sync. No2 Triggers.

The Distributor 3 Triggers are:- NE, G1, G2, and G- which is ground. The rotor has 24 Teeth.

The EMU Classic ECU has Primary Trigger (B7), Camsync. No 1 (B15) and Camsync. No2 (B6) in it's list of
input/output pins.

The EMU installation manual describes Camsync. No 2 as being for Variable Cam Timing or sensor on Cam 2
how ever the ST205/3SGTE engine does not have Variable Cam Timing or the such.

My problem is the ECU is getting conflicting signals from the distributor triggers.
NE is not the problem, but G1 and G2. Some trigger teeth in the graphs appear to be missing eg like tooth
No.24 or one in the middle like tooth No.16.

There appears to be a couple of options here:-
1. Join G1 and G2 together into 1 wire connected to (B15) Camsync. No1 at the ECU or
2. Cut/disconnect/disregard G2 wire. (No Camsync. No2 connection)

Looking at the ECU graphs, it looks like it may be beneficial to divide the signal into 2 lots of 12 teeth.

Can someone who has done a EMU ECU installation help me here please. What have you done to connect
the 3SGTE distributor triggers to the EMU Classic ECU?

Thank you in advance
Fred

hoys

freddie":6vpztgli said:
I have a ST205 3SGTE engine and are using the distributor 3 triggers for a EMU ECUmaster Classic ECU.

I am not using the distributor for sparkplug spark, all that has been deleted, just the triggers for crankshaft and
camshaft reference, Primary Trigger, Camsync. No1 and Camshaft sync. No2 Triggers.

The Distributor 3 Triggers are:- NE, G1, G2, and G- which is ground. The rotor has 24 Teeth.

The EMU Classic ECU has Primary Trigger (B7), Camsync. No 1 (B15) and Camsync. No2 (B6) in it's list of
input/output pins.

The EMU installation manual describes Camsync. No 2 as being for Variable Cam Timing or sensor on Cam 2
how ever the ST205/3SGTE engine does not have Variable Cam Timing or the such.

My problem is the ECU is getting conflicting signals from the distributor triggers.
NE is not the problem, but G1 and G2. Some trigger teeth in the graphs appear to be missing eg like tooth
No.24 or one in the middle like tooth No.16.

There appears to be a couple of options here:-
1. Join G1 and G2 together into 1 wire connected to (B15) Camsync. No1 at the ECU or
2. Cut/disconnect/disregard G2 wire. (No Camsync. No2 connection)

Looking at the ECU graphs, it looks like it may be beneficial to divide the signal into 2 lots of 12 teeth.

Can someone who has done a EMU ECU installation help me here please. What have you done to connect
the 3SGTE distributor triggers to the EMU Classic ECU?

Thank you in advance

Fred

G1 and G2 are opposing cam triggers on the distributor. You only need to connect one of them. Cam 2 is for V or VVTI engines with two distinct cam positions. Gen3 3s the cams are not going to change relation to one another.

I forget which cam sensor I used (G1 or G2) but this will dictate your injection/spark sequence.

alltracman78

It's literally been years since I've been in a 3s distributor, but IIRC G1 and G2 use a single tooth.
NE, which is for RPM, used the toothed ring.

freddie

Fantastic! Just what we thought. Hoys thank you man. Alltracman78 thanks for your reply too.

You see the car has spark - COP all operating Ok Got fuel- all injector operating ok
So it has to be the distributor. Haha.

EMU ECU's are relatively new here in my neck of the woods. I've got a guy to tune the car,
he has some experience with EMU Classic and Black, but has not done a 3sgte with this ECU.

Cheers Guy's

hoys

8B6OTFk.png

My ECUMaster Black settings. These are pretty much from the basemap provided. I'm unsure which pickup I used for cam sync but if it was different you would alter the injector phasing to signify the different engine position. My ignition events are all to fire coil one as I'm still using the distributor to distribute (heh) spark.

As always make sure trigger angle is set properly using ign angle lock with a timing light!

Edit: Note I also have a 10k resistor inline with the distributor pickup for cam sync. As the ECUMaster does not have a VR conditioning circuit it is relying on filter levels for VR pulses coming out of the distributor.

bHegiI4.png

This is my cam sensor sensitivity table. It will be different depending on your distributor and it's health etc... I believe the PNP adapter uses a 20k resistor inline but on older distributors this can be too much resistance and the ECU won't sense the aging VR signals it produces.

freddie

Hoys yah! We got the car running and purring nicely.

The distributor base plate needed a little adjusting as we did not have sufficient clearance
between the magnet and the trigger tooth on one sensor.

Then the main reason, was we were using the wrong trigger as camsync. No1.

We found G2 on the distributor is camsync. No1 (G1 wire is now chopped haaaa.)

Mate, you were a great help here, truly, All the Eddy the Expert here were putting us on the
wrong track. Even EMUMasters here in Australia.

Cheers
Fred