Knock sensor plug replacement

Mateo

My ST165 is missing the plug that plugs into the knock sensor, I know which wire it is I just don't have the plug to solder it. Does anyone have a replacement they would be willing to sell or have any links for a replacement? Some googling didn't have any replacements online. Thanks

underscore

I got one for my 185 off of a 5SFE. Maybe cross reference the knock sensor part number and see which other engines have the same one, then find a plug at a junkyard?

alltracman78

You can buy the connectors new from Toyota also. For older cars they have a book that has all the connectors in it.
Newer ones the connector part numbers are in the back of each wiring manual.

You'll have to buy the wiring pigtail separate. Info for that should be in the book also.
If you can cross reference to a newer car it will be easier, like Underscore said.

If you can find it it's much nicer to have new plastic IMO.

Mateo

I just ordered a new pigtail, but it looks like a GM knock sensor? It was $10 so I ordered it but is that common? I saw one one website I can't remember exactly which one but they said it was a GM knock sensor

alltracman78

That's a different sensor. Different connector.
The GM sensor is used to replace the Toyota one (people feel it's too sensitive and breaks too easily, and the GM one is cheaper).
IIRC you need an adaptor to thread the GM sensor in?

Mateo

I see, it's already threaded in I bought the car with it. I didn't know you could just put in a GM plug, thanks for the info. If it breaks I'll get the Toyota one but it's just a lot more expensive and I've already put a lot of money in the car lol.

Mateo

Yeah, I was getting Code 52 and I found some pictures of other ST165's and they had that sort of square connector and this one had the sort of nipple round connector

alltracman78

Yeah, then you want the GM pigtail. I actually think I have one laying around, it came on a wire harness I bought years ago.

Just for reference sake for anyone that finds this through search, you should be able to use any 3SGTE knock sensor up to at least 99. There are at least 2 different part numbers. The 90/91 and 92/93 have different numbers. IIRC the 94 - 99 were the same as the 92/93. The threaded part that threads into the engine were the same but the connectors were different.
Also, that year breakdown is for the Celica. The MR2 I believe is 90 - 92 and 93 - 95 in the US and 90 - 92, 93, and 94 - 99 for the rest of the world?
I don't know why Toyota used different sensors. Either they just ended up with different connectors, or the specific frequency they listen for is different. Not sure which.

Point being, the newer 3SGTEs shared sensors with some other engines, like I believe the 1 and 3MZFE. So it should be a whole lot easier to find a sensor and connector for those.

Mateo

Thanks, that's all really helpful. Like I said I already ordered the GM pigtail just because of how similar they look. Thanks again.