Oil everywhere around the turbo

Domspun

My ST185H stinks burning oil and I have oil coming out from everywhere around the turbo. There's a small leak under it and there's oil in the intercooler. I guess my turbo seals are all shot? What are my options? I don't know any reliable shop in my area that can rebuild a turbo.

underscore

Some oil in the intercooler is normal from the CCV being routed into the intake. The mess on the outside is probably the metal gasket for the feed/drain lines, I think that's the only part of the turbo oil system that could actually leak outside of the turbo.

Domspun

underscore":3vi6wi20 said:
Some oil in the intercooler is normal from the CCV being routed into the intake. The mess on the outside is probably the metal gasket for the feed/drain lines, I think that's the only part of the turbo oil system that could actually leak outside of the turbo.
Even if there is oily residue coming out at the coupling, it is normal?
So would only need a new metal gasket and should be good to go? I hope it's only that.

underscore

I'd pop the coupling off and take a look. A little bit is normal but if it's plastered everywhere that might be excessive. Maybe clean it up as best you can then fire up the car briefly and see if you can chase the leak a bit and see just how much more oil appears in the coupler. Definitely do some troubleshooting before replacing the turbo, I didn't and had bought a new turbo (which lead to a bunch of headache) when the problem was just that metal gasket.

Domspun

underscore":3ffsnoh4 said:
Have you pulled the intercooler off to see if the oil is on the inside of the coupler too?
Will try to take a look. Last year there was some, but oil was coming out from other places too.