How Do You Replace The Fog Lights On the 90 Celica All-Trac?

alltracman78

Holy crap this question brings me back. It reminded me of trying to change them for the first time with my first Alltrac. So many memories of learning stuff for the first time. And a bone stock car.

Anyways, it's been quite a few years, so I apologize in advance if I forget something.
The bulbs come out from the front. The "grills" in front of the lights have to come out. IIRC you remove the outside side first. But that's really hazy.
Once the grill is out there's a metal ring around the outside of the light. Remove the single screw on the inner (flat) side. One the screw is out pivot it out from the screw end and kind of push it towards the outside of the car. There's a tab on the other (curved) side that sits behind the lense.

Then the whole light assembly pulls forward towards you. I THINK the harness is very short and maybe it's easy to unplug. The bulb comes out from the rear of the assembly and I think has a V shaped spring that holds it in, like a modern head light bulb?

This should at least get you in the ball park.

GL

Okay. I am stuck at step one of removing the "grills". I can feel two bolt heads underneath the bumper cover. Are these bolts securing the grills in place? I don't want to just tug at it and break something.

Thanks for the response.

Gert

If you have the grill out, there are two screws holding the metal ring in place. You can see them in front, can't miss it.
Unscrew those and tweak the metal ring out. Then you can take out the whole assembly and swap the bulb easy.

*edit* Hmm, I have two screws, but I see there are versions with one screw, like seen here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154853411772?h ... SwpOdiWOwC

alltracman78

Gert, you're Euro spec, correct?
I believe he's US spec.
Could be 2 screws though. Been a long time.

The grills just pull out. No bolts or screws. You have to forcefully wiggle IIRC. The tabs that sit inside the bumper cover are larger than the holes. I think only on one side? Top maybe? First time is a PITA, then you understand. Heat gun might help? Lightly.

Thanks.

But what if I just need to change the bulbs? Can the fender liner be pulled back to allow access to remove the fog light bulbs?

Gert

supra-raleigh":9jmkf4vd said:
But what if I just need to change the bulbs? Can the fender liner be pulled back to allow access to remove the fog light bulbs?
Dunno, never tried or looked into it. Let us know how it workes out :D

alltracman78":3uke9y0w said:
The bulbs come out from the front. The "grills" in front of the lights have to come out. IIRC you remove the outside side first.

GL
Okay, I got it. Yes, the bulbs come out from the front. On the grill are some black plastic inserts. I removed the inserts, I think there are nine of them. The inserts slide into the vertical parts of the grills and also clip into the back of vertical part of the grills. To remove, the back of the black inserts need to be pried open with your fingers using both hands. When you pry, make sure to only pry outward on the black inserts while not prying/pulling on the vertical part of the grill. Once the inserts have been pried far enough to clear the vertical part of the grill, pull the black insert forward and it will be free from the grill.

The grill is held in place by about 7 tabs that fit into the bumper cover. I used some interior plastic pry tools to get in between the grill and the bumper cover to pry the grill out. Most of the tabs are on the bottom part of the grill and I think one is on the side on the outside part of the grill. I started on the inside/bottom part of the grill and worked my way to the outside and finally the side of the grill to release the final tab.